Show Us Your Usa Dino Bones

Terry Dactyll

I feel like I'm cheating a bit, cuz it's not mine, but the museum's (Tate Museum in Casper, WY). This is a partial hadrosaur skeleton from the Lance Fm of eastern Wyoming. We collected this in 2006 and 7 (I htink, I'd have ot check my field notes) and have been working on it off and on ever since. It is almost ready to go out on display as our most complete dino.

The fossil is in the foreground, the guy in the background is not a fossil yet.

We are looking at the hips of the critter.

post-1450-0-87807800-1293001975_thumb.jpg

Seen from the anterior end:

post-1450-0-52611400-1293001964_thumb.jpg

and the posterior end:

post-1450-0-17650500-1293002207_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpc

JPC.... That is Fabulous.... Its really nice to see how you guys work on finds like this... Many thanks for showing us the fossil as in the UK I'm unlikely to see stuff like this... :Thumbs Up:

I can see that you have teased all the matrix away from the bone now showing all the detail but what will now happen to the jacket to tidy it all up prior to display?....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

i must pologize for enderubting with dinosaur bones that are rubbed by unnatural elements until they're not identifiable as to species or nothing so don't even start on these cuz i've seen what can happen but anyway, i like dinosaur bones a whole lot but most people want a whole lot for them so i don't have a whole lot of them but i do have some but then i also have these that i rubbed and did stuff to but they're 99% agate and no body putty, so...

post-488-0-27609500-1292373742_thumb.jpg

i made teh heart one for my daughter so she's got it and she's even nicknamed after a dinosaur and has her nickname on her letter jacket so everybody knows she's nicknamed after a dinosaur but ya'll didn't but now you do. i love dinosaurs.

nice cabs, Tracer. Here the first pieces I did many years ago as lapidary... I love free shapes :) :) :)

post-1112-0-64218500-1293309165_thumb.jpg

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

JPC.... That is Fabulous.... Its really nice to see how you guys work on finds like this... Many thanks for showing us the fossil as in the UK I'm unlikely to see stuff like this... :Thumbs Up:

I can see that you have teased all the matrix away from the bone now showing all the detail but what will now happen to the jacket to tidy it all up prior to display?....

terry D-

The next step is to put a bunch of pieces (mostly small) back on that have fallen off during prep. We needed to stregnthen the jacket, so we added foam (strong and lightweight) to it... that's the yellow stuff you see on the outside in some places. I am not sure what we will do to hide the jacket. We did keep a bunch of sandy matrix from the site, so we may just cover it all with the same sand we took out of there. Still workingout thedisplay logistics.

terry D-

The next step is to put a bunch of pieces (mostly small) back on that have fallen off during prep. We needed to stregnthen the jacket, so we added foam (strong and lightweight) to it... that's the yellow stuff you see on the outside in some places. I am not sure what we will do to hide the jacket. We did keep a bunch of sandy matrix from the site, so we may just cover it all with the same sand we took out of there. Still workingout thedisplay logistics.

jpc...Yeah.... I suppose these things cant be rushed, you got the fossil out now its a combination of an artisitc eye and years of expereience... Good move getting some sand though... Im sure it will help in the final display...If its reasonably level around the perimiter of the jacket it could go in a display case where the jacket can be hidden inside a lower box in the case itself with just the very edge of it protruding and disguised as it reaches the surface revealing the bones... let us know how it works out...

Nando... You secet dino bone polisher...Im amazed at the variation in colours... very nice...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

JP, your museum fossils are awesome :)

Terry be careful... one of the cabs is made by coprolite :D;)

The following list about dino bone colors is from Price (UT) Museum

Apatite ( calcium phosphate)= White

Calcite (calcium carbonate)= white

Pyrite (iron sulphide)= metallic yellow

ametyst (silica dioxide)= purple

Hematite (iron dioxide) = brown

Carnotite (uranium ore) =yellow

Agate (silica dioxide) = many colors

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

(Regarding JP's earlier post).

Here are some field pictures from the week we spent working on that hadrosaur dig with the Tate Museum. If anyone wants to spend a week with JP on one of their summer digs, they are spectacular and reasonably-priced. You can see the size of the plaster jacket with a before-and-after picture. Also here is a pile of ribs I was working on. There were bones everywhere and it will be a challenge to see how they will be able to put them all together in a display.

post-1410-0-53649000-1293416271_thumb.jpg

post-1410-0-99209700-1293416298_thumb.jpg

post-1410-0-24282400-1293416312_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the plug, bruce. Yeah, I'm not sure what we're gonna do with the other bones from this animal that are not in that big jacket.

• 1 year later...

RC and JPC, your "Turtle" claws are most definitely Ornithomimid foot claws. And very nice ones at that.

• 2 weeks later...

Allosaurus caudal vert

Allosaurus fragilis

Jurassic

Morrison fm, Utah, USA

:)

post-4996-0-66460500-1347227360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sinopaleus

• 2 years later...

JPC: Suchomimus is not an ornithomimid. It is related to Spinosaurus and Baryonyx.

Unless you did not mean to say Suchomimus.

• 4 months later...

Mine aren't spectacular, but with limited funds, I'm happy with what I have-gives room to look forward to better specimens! :)

Tyrannosaurus rex tooth fragment from Hell Creek, Montana:

post-11650-0-19406600-1425147124_thumb.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Dromaeosaur tooth and toe bone from Montana, Hell Creek formation:

post-11650-0-79661700-1425147305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesuslover340

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Ankylosaur tooth (very worn) from Montana, Hell Creek formation:

post-11650-0-79005900-1425147764_thumb.jpg