Tucson 2011

old dead things

Is it too early to find out which forum members might be hanging around the Tucson show in 2011. I (we, forgot the wife was going with me this year :blush: :blush: ) am always up for fossil discussions over a cup of coffee. We won't be selling, just on a buying trip. We hope to be there in early February.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Is it too early to find out which forum members might be hanging around the Tucson show in 2011. I (we, forgot the wife was going with me this year :blush: :blush: ) am always up for fossil discussions over a cup of coffee. We won't be selling, just on a buying trip. We hope to be there in early February.

Jim

Old Dead Things

DEPENDS ON WHEN THE SHOW IS. i'M ABOUT 1 AND 1/2 HOURS AWAY AND i WOULDN'T MIND MEETING UP WITH SOME FORUM MEMBERS

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

January 29–February 12, 2011.

Sorry about the I-10 construction :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like I'll be heading up later than everyone else. I want to see the main show at the Convention Center so that's why I go later.

Looks like I'll be heading up later than everyone else. I want to see the main show at the Convention Center so that's why I go later.

Hello,

I know this Tuscon is one of the bigger shows (biggest?) in the US. Is it worth going to for collectors looking to expand their collections? I guess my question is, are shows like this considered a good place to purchase fossils at reasonable prices?

TIA from a newbie.

Hello,

I know this Tuscon is one of the bigger shows (biggest?) in the US. Is it worth going to for collectors looking to expand their collections? I guess my question is, are shows like this considered a good place to purchase fossils at reasonable prices?

TIA from a newbie.

Yes, in my opinion those shows worth the trip: Tucson, Denver (fall), Macomb (IL).

regards

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Tucson is THE show for minerals and gemstones. I hear that it is also considered to be the largest show for fossils in the USA. There has to be a hundred or more dealers that sell fossils to the public, mostly from two hotel locations.

Tucson is a must for any serious collector.

Hotel rooms fill up for the duration of the shows. If you plan to go to the Tucson Show (which is really many different shows at different places in town), you need to reserve a room now. Rooms are not cheap because the hotel owners know that they can fill every room.

We will be in Tucson February 8-10. I may go down a little earlier for the first weekend too. Also hope to spend a couple of days at Quartzsite.

I'm sure that it is warmer there than it is here (Wyoming) and hope to do some mineral collecting in the Kofa Mountains. We use to live in Yuma many years ago and spent a lot of time camping and collecting in the area. Mostly quartz crystals, wulfinite, flourite and fire agate.

Hopefully we'll be able to get in contact with other members while we are there.

Jim

I'm free the 8th or 9th to meet with anyone (Jim?, Sweeneyb?). The Inn Suites (Tucson City Center) would work for me as a meeting place, but I'm open to suggestions.

Quartzite is a big event. But the Tucson show has grown now to over 30 shows for minerals, gems, fossils, jewelry, equipment, and the like, and lasts for about a month from the earliest shows to the end. The mineral and fossil shows go for 2 weeks or more at some locations. If you can only go to one show a year -- Tucson shouldn't be missed.

I moved out of Tucson in like 1974 or 1975, I thought Quartzite was THE big show. When did that change?

Quartzite is a big event. But the Tucson show has grown now to over 30 shows for minerals, gems, fossils, jewelry, equipment, and the like, and lasts for about a month from the earliest shows to the end. The mineral and fossil shows go for 2 weeks or more at some locations. If you can only go to one show a year -- Tucson shouldn't be missed.

I guess having hotels around helps. All those rock hounds just got tired of trailers and tents, huh?

I'm sure that creature comforts matter, but hotel rooms also have easy access to electricity to power the lights in the display cases containing specimens that sell in the thousands of dollars. The security of a hotel room is perhaps also better.

I guess having hotels around helps. All those rock hounds just got tired of trailers and tents, huh?

In case anyone wants to spend more money on fossils than on hotels...

I drove to Tucson about ten years ago and couldn't find a hotel for under 100 bucks, which was then way too much for me. But I found a cheap hotel in Nogales an hour south on the Mexican border.

I also camped out one year which was far superior.