Mississippian "shark" Tooth And Micromorph Goniatites

Tony Eaton

Some recent finds. I need to research some IDs further but wanted to share some micromorph goniatites and what looks to be a Deltodus "shark" tooth crown and "root" views.

goniatite_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

goniatites_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

Deltodus_crownview_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

Deltodus_rootview_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton

Thanks Odin of the North. And happy new years!

Forgot to post on in situ picks. I wish I could have kept this stuff in the matrix but I didn't have a dremel with me.

Deltodus_insitu_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

Deltodus_insitu_closeup_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma.jpg

goniatite_mississippian_keokuk_oklahoma_insitu.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton

Cool finds, Tony!

Deltodus are neat!

Congratulations.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice, Tony. I think I have to agree on gastropod as goniatites have sutures (at least the ones I've seen).

Thanks Mike, Tracer.

I think you are right, that these are gastropods. I clicked around the internet and the best "guide" I found was one of Dan's old trip reports from 2004.

http://www.bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2004/HOLY%20GONIATITES%20BATMAN%20041604.pdf

One day I should make it a point to read all of them, or at least download.

Generally unless my family is twisting my arm,I avoid collecting too much non shark material unless it is small to store and easy to collect, hence these "little" finds LOL.

Tony

Edited by Tony Eaton

Tony.... Great finds.... Any ID on the tooth yet?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Terry.

Seems like most people selling these teeth lumping them in the "Deltodus sp." category, i.e.

http://www.rhyniechert.com/prospecthillsharks.html

These are probably bradyodont "sharks" which are more closely related to chimeras versus actual sharks.

I plan to do some searching for smaller stuff in the phosphatic material I've collected as I hope to find some "pointy" shark teeth too.

Thanks Terry.

Seems like most people selling these teeth lumping them in the "Deltodus sp." category, i.e.

http://www.rhyniechert.com/prospecthillsharks.html

These are probably bradyodont "sharks" which are more closely related to chimeras versus actual sharks.

I plan to do some searching for smaller stuff in the phosphatic material I've collected as I hope to find some "pointy" shark teeth too.

Tony... Well the preservation of the fossils looks very good... Its definately worth searching for a representative sample to see what else you can find...Keep us posted and Thanks for sharing them...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)