H. Heidelbergensis

DNA

hello. im new so bear with me please. thanks

is H. heidelbergensis considered to be the closet direct descendant of H. sapiens?

hai dna!! :)

weclome to the forum!

i'm a good person to talk to because i'm both a homer sapiens plus i have hung out in heidelberg. heidelberg is old, but we homer sapiens were here before heidelberg so i guess it could be descended from us.

I've heard of this species referred to as a subspecies of H. sapiens; I take a rather unorthodox but highly conservative view that H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis are the only valid species of the genus, and that any supposed diagnostic characteristics of other species are due to interspecific variation.

Well, I know I am a decendent of Heidelbergensis. I am a H. sapien and I have relatives in Heideslburgh, PA so.... if you are talking about evolution of "monkeys" to humans then I have no insight. Welcome to the forum anyhow!

Well, I know I am a decendent of Heidelbergensis. I am a H. sapien and I have relatives in Heideslburgh, PA so.... if you are talking about evolution of "monkeys" to humans then I have no insight. Welcome to the forum anyhow!

hahaha :D

and yes, welcome to the forum.

hello. im new so bear with me please. thanks

is H. heidelbergensis considered to be the closet direct descendant of H. sapiens?

As with any fossil species; paleoanthropology has its share of lumpers and splitters. Generally H. heidelbergensis is considered the last common ancestor of H. sapiens and H. neaderthalensis. A couple of popular science books that describe human evolution and culture that I highly recommend if you are wanting to learn more are the early chapters of The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins and The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond. A third which I am reading now is The Journey of Man by Spencer Wells. He uses DNA markers on the Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA to trace human migration out of Africa.

Mike

Edited by MikeR
  • I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain