Curious; Do You Buy Or Do You Hunt?

Freaky-Scribbles

Hello all,

I would like to first say that if I sound like a complete goof, it's because I have no idea what fossil collecting/hunting is about ;)

Anyway, i had found an interesting rock and posted it up, found that it's probably oncolite; this was cool. I went to the same area today and found some little trilobite heads, which was equally as cool.

Now I fear i'm goingto become addicted to fossil collection, mainly because it's probably one of the most fascinating things i've stumbled across, yet it's something we all hear about all the time...

So my question to you all is do you purchase your fossils, do you hunt for them, or do you do both? I plan on going to the various areas near my home (which are surprisingly close for a small range of different samples, ranging from trilobite, gastropod, bird, etc...so that's cool) but i'm also wondering if there are any good web sites to purchase from?

99% hunt, 1% buy. In my opinion it makes the fossil a lot cooler and more sentimental if you find it rather than buy it. Occasionally I run across something that I like and will purchase it but very rarely.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Not to worry, we all started as complete goofs. I think I may have been an incomplete goof:)

And the answer is both, though I think most of us prefer finding the things we might have bought if we couldn't find. Don't be concerned about the addiction either because you just joined your support group.

Any search engine will provide lots of places to purchase fossils and if you have any concerns about which are any good someone here will probably know.

Sometimes you must buy that which you cannot hunt, but it sure takes all the fun out of collecting! (I have bought a few big ones from places I will likely never be able to go and hunt myself.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Hey,

you're not going to learn unless you ask the supposedly silly questions. You'll find we're an accommodating group of like minded individuals here on the Forum.

I started off collecting and buying (about 50/50) then discovered that collecting my own material was more satisfying. I still purchase fossils occasionally if it's something I can't collect locally. I also trade with fellow Forum members. Trading is a great way to supplement your collection for relatively little cash outlay.

Dan

Not to worry, we all started as complete goofs. I think I may have been an incomplete goof:)

And the answer is both, though I think most of us prefer finding the things we might have bought if we couldn't find. Don't be concerned about the addiction either because you just joined your support group.

Any search engine will provide lots of places to purchase fossils and if you have any concerns about which are any good someone here will probably know.

This is definitely a support group! :D

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Well then good stuff! I only have limited ability to travel around to hunt, but i do have a few interesting places that are close by that i will be trying within the years time. The one i will be visiting most often only yields trilobite, but it's all for the fun of it as well as the possible find of something interesting.

I had seen a few sites with plant fossil, teeth, ammonites and gastropods, etc. These types of things i may not be able to find myself, but i'd sure love to own some of them! I just need to find a way to get into places to hunt, and find a hole in my schedule so i can do it. Today was probably my favorite day in awhile.

Trading will probably never happen anytime soon though, i'm so fascinated with anything that i'm looking at simple stuff (things that were selling for 20 bucks online) and i'm just completely intrigued with it that it's all i'm thinking about. (I saw an awesome plant and a few others that are basic stuff, but it's just something i need next to my canvas and desk ;) )

But...i will take up the idea of a support group!

Edited by Freaky-Scribbles

I only hunt, I dont purchase. I would rather spend extra money on books in my area of interest or save up for travel to an area I want to hunt in.

I only hunt, I dont purchase. I would rather spend extra money on books in my area of interest or save up for travel to an area I want to hunt in.

Aww and my wife was reading this... ;)

This is actually an interesting point. She's thinking that a vacation would be great, and seeing how fast i can rack up purchases, but instead travel to the area i wish to go and actually dig...well that's a great thing :)

I mostly only collect, it's cheaper. But I regret not buying this pyritized brachipod that a dealer was selling at last years MAPS. It is indeed more pleasurable to find it yourself, weather and babysitter permitting. I would be out right now if it wasn't 2 degrees. Now the big bummer is that gas prices are going up, going to cost more to go on those collecting trips.

94% hunt - 5% trade - 1% buy. I've traded microfossil samples with other collectors - a great way to learn about other localities and increase your genera / species count! Unfortunately, there are very few microfossil sellers on Ebay so I rarely buy.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I hunt my own, and I buy.

Because you're a newbie, I recommend that you gain some experience before spending any serious money on fossils. The prices for fossils can vary significantly from dealer to dealer, and you have to watch out for fakes. You need to learn the market for the types of fossils that you are interested in to get the best deals.

Eventually if and when you decide to buy fossils, buy the best quality you can afford at the best price you can get.

I hunt my own, and I buy.

Because you're a newbie, I recommend that you gain some experience before spending any serious money on fossils. The prices for fossils can vary significantly from dealer to dealer, and you have to watch out for fakes. You need to learn the market for the types of fossils that you are interested in to get the best deals.

Eventually if and when you decide to buy fossils, buy the best quality you can afford at the best price you can get.

Okay, sounds like good info. I'm still curious about the area nearmy home, so i'm going to be going there as well as a few other places for awhile. I tend to spend my money on graphics tablets lol, so the expense of those is a bit more than i usually have, so no cash left for fossils.

I do both. There's too much awesome material that's not found in NJ streams lol.

Agreed Darwin Ahoy!

If I were only interested in fossils that I could personally collect that would be fine of course. Like you point out though, there are too many awesome fossils from too many localities all over the globe. When you consider the dicey geo-politics of certain regions it's literally impossible to actually contemplate a real expedition. Good luck with the customs declaration form as you're trying to leave the People's Republic of China with one of their giant trilobite species they've designated as a national treasure!?! :o I get nervous collecting plant fossils here in Oregon and it's legal on public and federal lands! Doesn't stop the ODOT workers, rangers and troopers from trying to stop you though. :wacko: I'm sure most of you know that heart stopping moment when you look up from the rocks and suddenly realize you've got company and some 'splaining to do! :blink: If I can't find it with my four wheeler and estwing then I'm just as happy to collect it with my wallet. ;)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I do both. There's too much awesome material that's not found in NJ streams lol.

Same here.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

I would start out purchasing a good set of geological maps for the area around Las Vegas. They are invaluable for finding locations to dig. Geological maps for Nevada are available from the Nevada Burea of Mines and Geology in Reno. Then start purchasing books in your area of interest Consider what time frame you are really interested in, and if there is a particular biota that interests you within that period. There are an incredible number of sub fields in paleontology to choose from.

I hope you stick with it. Collecting fossils is an interesting and rewarding hobby. It can occupy your mind and provide plenty of physical exercise if you hunt for your own fossils.

Edited by R0ckhamm3r

:) I have 2 collections,one is my collection[things I found myself]and a theirs collection which consist of only a few items I have purchased.

Their collection is small but consist of items found in areas I will not visit in this lifetime.My collection is large but is very special to me as I found these items myself.Normally I dont have to tell you when I drag a fossil out,as I have a big smile when it is from my collection.

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

99.9% hunt. There are some things I can't find locally that I may buy at some point. I've seen a few nice big megs I thought about purchasing, but my personal rule is not until I find one of my own.

Edited by RickNC

95% hunt, and 5% buy - or Gifts.

I like the feeling of being the first person in millions of years, to set eyes on something coming out of the rock or stream!

No other feeling in the world like it. Plus, you never know what you are going to find! It's like Christmas, every fossil hunt! :):DB)

Always means a bit more to me if I find it, but, I do have some cool fossils that were bought for me/by me. And the thought behind those gifts is what really matters.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I started 40 years ago with 99+% self found fossils. Now that I am almost 60 year old, this fraction declined to may be 60%. But it is indeed more pleasurable to find your fossils yourself (and to prep them yourself, that's what I like most).

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

80% buy, 20% find. I would love it to be the other way round though. But can't go fossiling very often, as I don't live near any good places.

I used to hunt, pretty much every free hour back in the '70s. Since then, there are no free hours; I chose a specialty that dovetails with my profession, requires less space, is best pursued by purchase, and provides huge amounts of research for the buck.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) I guess by now you have noticed a re-occuring theme here by now.Hunters love the exercise,thrill of the hunt etc.Also take a lot of pride in having personally found the majority of the things in their collection.Collectors take pride in their collection too,even though most of their collection is bought.They usually have the best money can buy as for hunters we have the best we can find.

We alsohave the same pride with a less than perfect fossil we have found as a fossil someone else has purchased.I also have the same smile on my face when I find a common fossil in my area whether it is a pristine first of this common fossil I have found ,or if it is a less than perfect 100th common fossil of that type you find.A collector wont have a poker face with our fossils,dont think its possible.And God forbid we find a rare fossil,we do our happy dance to everyone we know showing it off whether they are into fossils or not. :jig: [My happy dance] :D [My I found a fossil face]. ;)

Bear-dog.

i personally collect everything possible, like 98.6% of the stuff. tj collects the other 5% that's the real good stuff. then i buy like 1% from dealers who've traveled a long ways to a show and are looking glum from not selling enough.

as far as dealing with teh authorities whilst collecting, the authorities tend to have better sense than me so they don't tend to be where i go. and on the off chance one of them does end up where i end up, i'd deal with him individually as opposed to collectively, and i'd be kinda friendly, cuz if he's out there where i go, he's probably a bubble off plumb too, if you know what i mean...