Collection Poll

PaleoPastels

Collection Poll  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What fossils do you mainly collect ?

• Fish
    • Brachiopods
    • Cephalopods- Ammonites, Belemnites, Nautiloids
    • Arthropods-Trilobites, Crustaceans, Insects, etc
    • Dinosaurs
    • Marine Reptiles
    • Pelecypods- Clams, Oysters, Bivalves
    • Echinoids-Crinoids, Blastoids, Starfish, Urchins, etc
    • Gastropods-Snails
    • Shark Teeth
    • Coprolites/Trace Fossils
    • Corals/Sponges/Stromatoporiods
    • Bryozoans
    • Algae
    • Ice Age Mammals
    • Microfossils
    • Plants-Ferns, Amber, Calamites, Leaves, Nuts, etc.
    • Flying Reptiles
    • Marine Mammals
    • Graptolites

This is a poll to see what is the most popular thing to collect :) Enjoy and thank you for voting!!!

**** BTW I added Multiple Votes and the choice Flying Reptile! XD

Edited by Larsa

I collect it all, but if I went strictly by volume and weight, it would be plants (petrified wood). If I go by quantity (no way I'm counting all that stuff), it might be microfossils (Foraminifera - fusilinds specifically) or Echinoids (crinoids and urchins) or maybe Brachiopods. I got a lot of stuff. Never really thought about it before.

i voted for sharks teeth because that's what i find the most of in the area's that i hunt, but what i really like to find are things like this...

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

DSCFcomposite.jpg

DSCF4200.jpg

Nice.

So I'm guessing these are archosaur teeth?

Pterosaur? Crocodilian? Dinosaur?

My first fossil was a dinosaur bone and ever since then, I've ended up collecting a lot of dino bone fragments as well other dino fossils such as a Spinosaurus tooth and a titanosaur eggshell.

Nice.

So I'm guessing these are archosaur teeth?

Pterosaur? Crocodilian? Dinosaur?

they are 7 mosasaur teeth, and 1 plesiosaur.(the triple shot)

I also collect all fossils with joy, but I voted for echinoids, since I like them the most. If I go fossil hunting and there are echinoids around at the location, I'll pay extra attention to them, but I won't leave any other fossils. However by quantity it'd be fish remains (most of which are otoliths - I have over 1300 counted and at least that amount again uncouted otoliths) followed by bivalves.

Sincerely,

Bram

Fossils: a way of life

Hi,

I voted for sea urchins, but I think most of the members collect several types(chaps) of fossils. This poll does not allow the multiple choices, because I would have added the sharks and the shells.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I voted sharks teeth because that is the bulk of it. However, there are also many other finds. Wish the poll allowed for multiple choices.

voted for shark teeth but really enjoy all mammal finds also. B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Ahem...

post-423-0-90409100-1294062250_thumb.jpg

B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i voted for sharks teeth because that's what i find the most of in the area's that i hunt, but what i really like to find are things like this...

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

DSCFcomposite.jpg

DSCF4200.jpg

Waaaahhh you know mosasaurs are my fav! :notfair: I feel like everyone has a mosasaur tooth but me. Beautiful teeth *drool* I need to go to Texas and find some!

I collet from all though, I would also like to see were I can vote for all if that is possible. Other than that, great poll!

I collect shark teeth and shells , but ofcourse also any other fossil that crosses my path during the surching!

walter

Dino and dino related things such as marine reptiles, flying reptiles, trace fossils etc :D

Saying that though, I don't really discriminate. I will collect anything, it's just those are the main ones I like.

Ideally i'd focus on dinosaurs...but all our dinosaurs got eroded away a few thousand years ago. So I end up focusing on brachiopods, bivalves, corals, and algae for the most part...and occasionally arthropods and ammonites if I get to travel a bit.

I'm sort of forced to collect Cephalopods because of where I live, which is why I ticked that off. If I lived somewhere else, I'd probably have ticked something else.

Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ahem...

post-423-0-90409100-1294062250_thumb.jpg

B)

Flying Reptiles (1 votes 0.96%] )

I would bet this single vote for "Flying Reptiles" came from Auspex. It was the nearest category to birds he could find. :P

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Larsa... I had to vote for 3 categories... Obviously I like my lower jurassic ammonites but I also collect upper carb plants and critters which is of local interest to me...I like the carb as theres more involved in collecting a representation of a complete paleoenvironment than random shells from various layers... You tend to learn a lot more (or I do ) lol...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I would bet this single vote for "Flying Reptiles" came from Auspex. It was the nearest category to birds he could find. :P

"Dinosaurs" is closer ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I went with invert's across the board. :D Cool pole Larsa. I'm anxious to see how things tally up!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

DSCFcomposite.jpg

DSCF4200.jpg

Very nice! You hunt the same category as myself, marine reptiles.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past