Coatings And Appearance Enhancement

Anna

I know there is a bit of controversy over the use of consolidating coatings on fossils. I have a couple minor limestone fossils I want to display and thought the use of some sort of coating might make the fossil stand out from the matrix. Is there something I can use, or am I totally wrong in my idea?

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

I know there is a bit of controversy over the use of consolidating coatings on fossils. I have a couple minor limestone fossils I want to display and thought the use of some sort of coating might make the fossil stand out from the matrix. Is there something I can use, or am I totally wrong in my idea?

:) Hey,it's your fossils.I personally treat my fossils so they are in good condition for future generations to come.

What ever you decide,good luck and happy hunting. :D

Bear-dog.

One (or more) of our members uses hair spray to accent fossils without looking too artificial.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On some, but not all of my fossils I use Future Floor Polish. It does give them a sheen,but doesn't destroy the appearance of the fossil. It also works as an adhesive. It gets into the minute cracks and prevents some fossils from falling apart. At shows the polished ones sell more than the unpolished. Probably about 70/30. Also sometimes use Vinac in the same way.

Jim

I use stone sealer on my travertine backsplash tile...would it work on my limestone?

Thanks!

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

Anna, whatever you do, I would use the product on a scrap fossil first to see the effects of the product. Also keep in mind that whatever product you apply, it may or may not be reversible. So, if you paint on some sort of product to darken, shine, enhance, etc. your fossil, you may not be able to remove the product if you decide you don't like how it looks. For me, my specimens are usually sharks teeth and I sometimes like to darken up the root if it is all faded. To darken it I use baby oil. I know fols use a whole host of other things from Paleobond to elmers glue and water mixtures, hair spray, varnish, you name it. I always practice fist on a broken tooth that I don't care about, that way if I screw it up, I just toss it and try something else. Good luck. If you go ahead with it, take a before and after pic and post back for us to see.

Daryl.

I'm not a big fan of coating for appearance sake alone. Coating (impregnating) to preserve things are another matter. If you choose to coat your fossil, I recommend using a brush and carefully coat just the fossil. If you coat the entire rock, you end up with a shiny mess.

Thank you all so much! I have plenty of scrap to work with, so I'm going to experiment to see what works best with different stuff...there's still a lot of reading to do, and I've found some of the pinned discussions.

My son and I are just getting started with this. He's only seven, but he told me the other evening as we sat picking away at our finds "Mom, I'm sure glad you got us into this. I think it's a great way to spend our time." He has a philosophy: "Too many people do things for money, Mom. People need to do stuff for the joy of it!" (Kinda shocked me to hear that come out of his mouth.)

So, we're working with what we find so that we can have a collection that is truly our work.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

One thing to consider is how will the stuff you put on your fossils look in 5, 10, 50 years. People used to shellac fossils, but it was dsicovered that this is bad. Shellac never really sets up and dust sticks to it. Only a little at a time, but over the years, the fossils ended up being permanently dusty. Some of these thngs that have been mentioned I would never put on a fossil for exactly this reason... hair spray, floor polish. No thanks. I prefer pure fossil, but if I must I will use a bit of vinac. Polyvinly acetate, available from PaleoTools, I think.

Edited by jpc

One thing to consider is how will the stuff you put on your fossils look in 5, 10, 50 years. People used to shellac fossils, but it was dsicovered that this is bad. Shellac never really sets up and dust sticks to it. Only a little at a time, but over the years, the fossils ended up being permanently dusty. Some of these thngs that have been mentioned I would never put on a fossil for exactly this reason... hair spray, floor polish. No thanks. I prefer pure fossil, but if I must I will use a bit of vinac. Polyvinly acetate, available from PaleoTools, I think.

You can order Vinac from the Black Hills Institute.

http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=262&cat=37&page=1

Guest N.AL.hunter

Liquid Future Floor wax was/is actually recommended by the people at the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis, Tenn. I have used it successfully ever since they showed me what to do at their coon Creek facility to protect/stabilize the very fragile shells from that site. I especially like to harden the sand matrix I find a lot of my fossils in (Chipola stuff, coon Creek stuff, Eutaw Formation stuff...). I simply use an artist sized paint brush to apply it (or some times an eye dropper for large matrix pieces). However, as has been already mentioned, it does leave the specimen a little bit shiny. One way I have found to dull the appearance is to rub the specimen with my fingers right before the Future dries completely. I have specimens from coon Creek that are now 20 years old and show no ill effect from the Future on them. Also, Future is cheap and last me a long time.

I use Krylon Matte finish clear spray. Available at Michael's. I spray the entire piece and then remove if from the matrix. Comes off very easily using an air abrasive machine. You get some contrast using this method. You can also spray some into a container and the brush it on the specimen. I know some people that do it this way. I prefer my method.

It can also help to consolidate some specimens. I spray it on thicker if I need it to act as a consolidant and then remove the excess. Can't say it enough time as too how easily it comes off the specimen or matrix using an air abrasive machine. I know of several professional fossil prep people that use this stuff.

crinus

Edited by crinus

I use Krylon Matte finish clear spray. Available at Michael's. I spray the entire piece and then remove if from the matrix. Comes off very easily using an air abrasive machine. You get some contrast using this method. You can also spray some into a container and the brush it on the specimen. I know some people that do it this way. I prefer my method.

It can also help to consolidate some specimens. I spray it on thicker if I need it to act as a consolidant and then remove the excess. Can't say it enough time as too how easily it comes off the specimen or matrix using an air abrasive machine. I know of several professional fossil prep people that use this stuff.

crinus

Glad that you posted the trade name Crinus... as you have mentioned that in discussions in the past...

PL

I have found that penetrant/stabilizer such as starbond or paleobond is a very good coating to accentuate fossils. In addition this will seal and stabilize any future deterioration, especially of fossils that have been recovered from water. Make sure you only apply to the fossil itself and not the matrix as the idea is highlight the fossil, not what surrounds it. If you find the surface too shiny for your taste, a light buffing with fine steel wool will take the shine off. I also use Krylon matte acrylic spray for a totally flat finish. This works very well if there is restoration as often this has a different sheen than the fossil itself. I understand that some people prefer no coating on their fossils, but a good, properly applied coating can really bring a fossil to life.

I have found that penetrant/stabilizer such as starbond or paleobond is a very good coating to accentuate fossils. In addition this will seal and stabilize any future deterioration, especially of fossils that have been recovered from water. Make sure you only apply to the fossil itself and not the matrix as the idea is highlight the fossil, not what surrounds it. If you find the surface too shiny for your taste, a light buffing with fine steel wool will take the shine off. I also use Krylon matte acrylic spray for a totally flat finish. This works very well if there is restoration as often this has a different sheen than the fossil itself. I understand that some people prefer no coating on their fossils, but a good, properly applied coating can really bring a fossil to life.

Thanks!

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma