Old Bad Birds Bash With Big Bones

tracer

So, I'm reading the story, thinking "yeah right", when I get to the picture of the wing bones... :o

This is interesting on so many levels! Did flightlessness evolve (as is usual) in the absence of predators, and then the appearance of new predators selected for self defense? Or was it territorial defense against rivals that drove the adaptation? How about nest predation of such a level that the need for immature chicks to defend themselves trumped the survival value of flight in adults?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i'm just glad i posted something about birds that you hadn't already seen a million times! yay!

That's cool. What's really cool is that they showed a picture of the fossils. The popular press rarely ever does that. Chock one up for the BBC.

"Nunchickens" :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Evolution is always amazing, but looks more cool to fly than just jump on your adversaries hitting them with the wings!!!.

banner_WoF02.gif