January 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

2010 is behind us and 2011 has already produced some nice finds. :) Congrats to all that had recent time off for an extra fossil hunt. Let's see what the new year will show us!

The objective is to have fun. So carefully read the rules below, and go make some great finds! Entries will be taken through January 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

For my FOTM entry I would like to enter a crinoid that I finished preparation on on January 2nd, 2011. I found this in my last trip out on October 17th, 2010 but I have been saving all of my plates for when I started to go nuts :D.

This little guy was another little split the plate surprise!

Species: Sacrocrinus varsovensis

Geological Era: Mississippian

Found in: Crawfordsville, IN

post-1179-0-97265600-1294556514_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-34134600-1294556445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crinoid Queen

I was going to post a couple rarer Ohio trilo parts but than I rembered I found them before Christmas.:(

Edited by ohiofossilhunter

I was going to post a couple rarer Ohio trilo parts but than I rembered I found them before Christmas.:(

When did you prep them though?

They could not survive prepping. They are lnternal molds on a weak shale that already weathered. so not very fotm worthy.

They could not survive prepping. They are lnternal molds on a weak shale that already weathered. so not very fotm worthy.

:( Im sry!

Hi all,

Although I have started the year finding fossils, it not means that I'm finding fossils everyday and every week because I haven't much time for that, so I will propose you my only month find for FOTM :blush:

Schizaster cf. saheliensis Pomel, 1887 I assume that the beds are Serravallian overlying the Langhian, anyway, Miocene.

It preserve a lot of velvet like radioles

:)

post-41-0-59944900-1294686309_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-71475100-1294686371_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-14188500-1294686389_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-58755900-1294686420_thumb.jpg

This is my devil's toenail fossil. It is a Gryphaea. I found it yesterday in my garden (in the gravel). It is from the Jurassic period. Hope this is good enough!

Best wishes,

Thomas.

post-4683-0-12929300-1295117366_thumb.jpg

My IPFOTM entry is a Middle Devonian scolecodont (annelid worm jaw) from the Silica Formation at Fossil Park in Sylvania OH. I found it this morning (15 Jan) and identified it as Leodicites sp. The total length of the jaw is 0.5mm (~0.02").

post-2453-0-38407100-1295122580_thumb.jpg

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Here is my first entry. Found in september, finished prepping the day before yesterday. It's a Phacopid from the middle devonian of Morocco.

Fine details all over the little critter: tubercles, pores, ... you name it.

post-643-0-87960000-1295127011_thumb.jpg

post-643-0-32804800-1295127032_thumb.jpg

post-643-0-94282800-1295127182_thumb.jpg

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Here is my first entry. Found in september, finished prepping the day before yesterday. It's a Phacopid from the middle devonian of Morocco.

Superb Fred .... I had to do a double-take! :blink:

The preservation is more reminiscent of a North American phacopid.

Bravo .... it looks like you spent 50 hours prepping it with cotton dust! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

that scolecodont looks like jewelry, beautiful fossil.Be hard to choose for this month already :)

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

My entry for this month's FOTM contest has a bit of a back story to it!

Back in the middle of July 2004 I made a trip to the Tanglefoot Creek area near Cranbrook (BC) to collect trilobites. While on that trip I found an amazing Pterocephalia norfordi in a rather large block of shale. Rather than hike out with the large block I decided to extract the trilobite in the field. Big mistake!!!!! Three wacks with my hammer and the trilobite broke neatly into three pieces! I packed the much smaller pieces into my bag and upon returning home I promptly deposited them in storage. Fast forward six and a half years later, when I rediscovered the specimen neatly packed away in storage. Being a slow month for collecting, I decided to see if I could repair the specimen.

Here is the specimen glued back together! Repair carried out on January 15, 2011 (only six and a half years late). The specimen also received an acid bath to remove some excess lime scale. The repair isn't the greatest as I used too much glue that ended up squeezing out onto the trilobite in several places. Well at least it's back together now and safely stored in my collection.

post-2629-0-70446500-1295136280_thumb.jpgPterocephalia norfordi part. Upper Cambrian McKay Group, found near Cranbrook (BC). Specimen is 4cm in length.

After repairing the specimen I put it aside and looked through my other specimens. To my complete surprise the repaired specimen turns out to be the positive (part) of another specimen collected two weeks earlier.

Here's the negative (counterpart) found two weeks earlier.

post-2629-0-39229900-1295136277_thumb.jpgPterocephalia norfordi counterpart. Upper Cambrian McKay Group, found near Cranbrook (BC). Specimen is 4cm in length.

And here are the two together for the first time in Six and a half years!

post-2629-0-09256800-1295136284_thumb.jpgPterocephalia norfordi part and counterpart. Upper Cambrian McKay Group, found near Cranbrook (BC).

This is definitely my best find of the month if not the entire year. This specimen (part and counterpart) is easily the best self collected trilobite in my entire collection!

Dan

This is definitely my best find of the month if not the entire year. This specimen (part and counterpart) is easily the best self collected trilobite in my entire collection!

Dan

Great story .... greater bug .... greatest repair .... all from a really GREAT GUY! :)

Looks like you've earned my vote .... :bow:

PS: I'm happy to keep it in protective custody from you smashing it again with a rock-hammer! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

What a great collection of fossils, y'all. Its going to be a tough choice. Hey... where's all the vertebrates for this month?

amazing bug, great and impressive prep. One of the best I have seen. Congrats.

My IPFOTM entry is a Middle Devonian scolecodont (annelid worm jaw) from the Silica Formation at Fossil Park in Sylvania OH. I found it this morning (15 Jan) and identified it as Leodicites sp. The total length of the jaw is 0.5mm (~0.02").

Nice micro, need good eyes to pick that out of the dirt. Congrats.

My entry is Petrodus sp. denticles from the Garner Formation, Mingus shale, Texas.

Found January 15th.. About 305 million years old.

post-13-0-04806700-1295296544_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

My entry is Petrodus sp. denticles from the Garner Formation, Mingus shale, Texas.

Very nice roz!!

This is my first entry into the contest.

What I am submitting here is a pathological Tiger Shark tooth (genus Galeocerdo). The formation the tooth is from is the Pungo River Formation(I think!). Tooth was discovered in spoil piles at the PCS phosphate mine on 1/15/11.

The crown splits and one of the points curves upward at the tip.

patho.png

patho2.png

patho5.png

patho4.png

patho3.png

Edited by RickNC

Found on saturday January 15th, from coon Creek Formation in Northern MS. Ok, as I know this is not the pretiest of specimens, but the thing that leads me to find of the month is that it is only the 7th documented crab of this species :)

Cristipluma mississippiensis

DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

Edited by -AnThOnY-

:) Denticles and cat have my vote. :D

Bear-dog.