Hemiaster

CreekCrawler

I thought this Ech was kinda neat with the extra pattern and all!

Seen any like this?post-417-1211949525_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

I find those worm tubes on a lot of fossils. So you actually have two fossils for one! Sometimes I even find them as single specimens.

Is that a Duck Creek or Fort Worth Macraster as opposed to a Hemiaster?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Is that a Duck Creek or Fort Worth Macraster as opposed to a Hemiaster?

Duck Creek!

snakekeeper:

I'm with Dan on this one. I believe it is a Macraster rather than a Hemiaster. From the angular contours, the depth and length of the ambulacra and the truncated vertical posterior, it looks like Macraster washitae Lambert 1920. I love finding the echinoids with serpulid worm tubes, bryozoa and other epifauna, at least as long as they don't hide many of the better features of the echinoid (since I am after the echinoids primarily). Some of the most spectacular Macraster with worm tubes encrusting the surface are the large Macraster obesus Adkins, 1930 and Macraster subobesus ((Adkins, 1918) from the Weno Formation in Bell and Coryell counties in Central Texas.

Very nice specimen!

Regards,

Mike

snakekeeper:

I'm with Dan on this one. I believe it is a Macraster rather than a Hemiaster. From the angular contours, the depth and length of the ambulacra and the truncated vertical posterior, it looks like Macraster washitae Lambert 1920. I love finding the echinoids with serpulid worm tubes, bryozoa and other epifauna, at least as long as they don't hide many of the better features of the echinoid (since I am after the echinoids primarily). Some of the most spectacular Macraster with worm tubes encrusting the surface are the large Macraster obesus Adkins, 1930 and Macraster subobesus ((Adkins, 1918) from the Weno Formation in Bell and Coryell counties in Central Texas.

Very nice specimen!

Regards,

Mike

Thanks guys for the proper id. My library as well as my knowledge of Texas fossils is limited ! :rolleyes: