More Point-A Fossils

costagrayi

Here is a sample of the teeth and other fossils that I found on the last trip to Point-A dam in Alabama. Varkdriver and MrFossil were there with me. I think they each had a little better selection.

2 Fish verts: 1 shark or ray and 1 bony fish

2 Nurse or angel shark teeth

1 turtle shell fragment

3 turtle spurs

1 catfish pectoral or dorsal spine

assorted tiger shark teeth and other shark teeth

The largest shark tooth is approximately 1 1/2 inches in total length. Wish my camera was better for this kind of picture.

post-2035-0-60414200-1294520619_thumb.jpg

Edited by costagrayi

Nice teeth!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Here is a sample of the teeth and other fossils that I found on the last trip to Point-A dam in Alabama. Varkdriver and MrFossil were there with me. I think they each had a little better selection.

2 Fish verts: 1 shark or ray and 1 bony fish

2 Nurse or angel shark teeth

1 turtle shell fragment

3 turtle spurs

1 catfish pectoral or dorsal spine

assorted tiger shark teeth and other shark teeth

The largest shark tooth is approximately 1 1/2 inches in total length. Wish my camera was better for this kind of picture.

Hmmmm.... Those would be Eocene fossils? Marine fossils? I wasn't aware that marine turtles of the Eocene had "spurs." Can you elaborate?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Del is correct, assuming that the items in question are those in the red oval.

post-423-0-41440800-1294539091_thumb.jpg

The item in the blue oval appears to be a hollow, thin-walled bone shaft; is this correct?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, those turtle spurs are actually Scomberomorus teeth, a wahoo. They are pretty regular in the Eocene and get confused with Barracuda (Sphyraena). Pretty cool. Also called cybium.

CF

That one looks to be a section of the Cylindricanthus rostrum, the Eocene swordfish. Total length reaches about three feet. That section comes from right in the middle.

CF

Del is correct, assuming that the items in question are those in the red oval.

post-423-0-41440800-1294539091_thumb.jpg

The item in the blue oval appears to be a hollow, thin-walled bone shaft; is this correct?

Yeah, those turtle spurs are actually Scomberomorus teeth, a wahoo. They are pretty regular in the Eocene and get confused with Barracuda (Sphyraena). Pretty cool. Also called cybium.

CF

Dino is spot on with the Scomberomorous teeth. We find them in the MD and VA eocene as well.

Daryl.

I appreciate the input...Barracuda teeth are what I originally thought years ago when I first found them, then I've had others ID them as turtle/tortise spurs....based on a discussion with a freshwater turtle expert from the Florida Museum of Natural History (University of Florida) who was present when similar fossils were found at this particular site, I may have misenterpreted what he had to say.

Yes, fresh water turtles have been documented from this site as have other creatures that are not strictly marine animals, see this link:

Point-A Fossil Article

These being Wahoo teeth would be cool, since these critters are still around...The item in the blue oval someone said was probably a swordfish rostral spine, (rostrum)? That would be cool as well, but I have seen similar items IDed on this forum as catfish spines, I'd rather they are swordfish rostrum, again since that'd be cool. I'll leave the positive ID to those more familar with them than I am.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is rather old but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have two swordfish rostrum I won on ebay. One is the end with the point and is 6 inches long. The other is missing about two inches of the point and is nine inches long. I was only able to get the info that it came from S. Carolina and is Miocene. I can't find any info on the internet. Are these things rather uncommon? Does anyone have any other info on them? They cost me twenty dollars for the two and I thought that was reasonable. Any idea on the value?

If they are swordfish rostra, then they are uncommon - not seen for sale very often. You can try doing searches with "Makaira fossil" as see if your specimens compare favorably. It sounds like you got a good deal. Hard to say on the value but I would guess the one with the tip is worth $20 or more. Bony fish parts are harder to sell (not as much interest as in sharks) but a good swordfish rostrum piece is something many collectors would like to get for their collections.

I know this thread is rather old but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have two swordfish rostrum I won on ebay. One is the end with the point and is 6 inches long. The other is missing about two inches of the point and is nine inches long. I was only able to get the info that it came from S. Carolina and is Miocene. I can't find any info on the internet. Are these things rather uncommon? Does anyone have any other info on them? They cost me twenty dollars for the two and I thought that was reasonable. Any idea on the value?

I would be interested in knowing what Miocene formation the swordfish sections are from. I have never heard of a named marine Miocene formation in S.C.

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com