Unknown Trilobite

dalmanites14

Hi I bought this at a fossil fair but no name came with them. it is about 3 inches long.

I don't know the time period. i do know it came from africa. i know its a trilobite

Zlichovaspis sp. (formerly known as Odontochile)

Region Ma'der, SE Morocco

Many still call this Odontochile, but it is more likely Zlichovaspis. Same with the locality - many say Erfoud or Alnif. These are both towns that sell the fossils, but the fossils themselves are from the Region Ma'der - Mt. Oufaten specifically (for the Zlichovaspis).

As with most Morocccan trilobites, this one appears to have quite a bit of restoration. Always be wary when purchasing trilobites from Morocco and ask for closeups if purchasing over the net. Poor and quick preparation is also a big problem with these trilobites. They are some of the nicest trilobites in the world. It is a shame there are so many forgeries and poorly prepped specimens out there.

Zlichovaspis sp. (formerly known as Odontochile)

Region Ma'der, SE Morocco

Many still call this Odontochile, but it is more likely Zlichovaspis. Same with the locality - many say Erfoud or Alnif. These are both towns that sell the fossils, but the fossils themselves are from the Region Ma'der - Mt. Oufaten specifically (for the Zlichovaspis).

I confess .... I'm one of the many, stuck in a time warp with the name game. Actually I'm a bit stubborn with some of the bugs. I'll probably never stop calling my Ohio phacopids 'crassi's' either .... just sounds 'right' to me. I could go on, there are countless examples. Maybe the worst ever was another Moroccan bug that's been shuffled quite a bit in recent years. It's now Hollardops mesocristata but before that change from Metacanthina barrandei it was proposed to become Hollardops burtandmimiae .... named for who? Burt and Mimi? REALLY?!? And then to really mix it up, my favorite Moroccan asteropygin is relegated to becoming Metacanthina issoumourensis in its place? It's good business for the academicians of course, publish or perish, and even better business for the commercial sellers of trilobites. I wonder how many unsuspecting collectors just HAD to have an Ameropiltonia lauradanae as the new species never heard of before. One more since these are fun .... Alokistocare, now there's a lovely name that rolls mellifluously off the tongue. Not cool enough? OK it must be All Too Cool for Us then as in Altiocculus harrisi? Honestly though, all of the confusion makes for good fun .... the more the merrier!

OK, enough with the naming madness for one night :wacko:

Attached is a Zlichovaspis sp. (formerly known as Odontochile) :P

zero restore - 4-1/2" B)

post-4301-0-31948700-1294637360_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Don't forget about Huntoniatonia! There are no more Huntonias since the name was previously used for some other bug (an isopod I think). And all those Phacops - Now Eldredgeops! Those academics are ###### with our minds! I'm still having qualms about calling all my Nanillaenus Thaleops - thanks to my former professor Steve Westrop (and his student) publishing a paper changing all species to Thaleops. I think I'll have to send out a hit!

But that's the way it goes. I guess we have to try and keep up, but some genera (like Phacops) are going to stick around a long time before people finally accept Eldredeops!

By the way - very nice Odontochile - I mean Zlichovaspis. Oops I slipped. I'm prepping one now with tiny spines all down the thorax. It's 100%, but it looks like it'll take me about 15 hours to prep.

I confess .... I'm one of the many, stuck in a time warp with the name game. Actually I'm a bit stubborn with some of the bugs. I'll probably never stop calling my Ohio phacopids 'crassi's' either .... just sounds 'right' to me. I could go on, there are countless examples. Maybe the worst ever was another Moroccan bug that's been shuffled quite a bit in recent years. It's now Hollardops mesocristata but before that change from Metacanthina barrandei it was proposed to become Hollardops burtandmimiae .... named for who? Burt and Mimi? REALLY?!? And then to really mix it up, my favorite Moroccan asteropygin is relegated to becoming Metacanthina issoumourensis in its place? It's good business for the academicians of course, publish or perish, and even better business for the commercial sellers of trilobites. I wonder how many unsuspecting collectors just HAD to have an Ameropiltonia lauradanae as the new species never heard of before. One more since these are fun .... Alokistocare, now there's a lovely name that rolls mellifluously off the tongue. Not cool enough? OK it must be All Too Cool for Us then as in Altiocculus harrisi? Honestly though, all of the confusion makes for good fun .... the more the merrier!

OK, enough with the naming madness for one night :wacko:

Attached is a Zlichovaspis sp. (formerly known as Odontochile) :P

zero restore - 4-1/2" B)

post-4301-0-31948700-1294637360_thumb.jpg

Super cool Zlichovaspis! Did you prep out the squiggly lines that almost always come with Moroccan Trilobites? I'd like to do that to mine.

Beautiful Trilobite.