Dizzy Ammonites

BobWill

Has anyone else noticed that almost every time a picture of an ammonite is posted it is upside down or at least not with the body chamber at the bottom? Maybe the assumption is that the body chamber is usually missing but even at that how do we know how much of the rest is gone as well? Yeah, I know how irrelevant this is and I shouldn't let it bother me, I guess I should seek help for this condition. Maybe it's just more aestheticly pleasing with the flotation chambers below. Here I go over-analyzing again, help! somebody please stop me!

I wouldnt worry about it Bob... I dont and Im surrounded by them... 'litterally'.. lol

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roger... lol... Heres one you can smile and frown at, at the same time... ;)

post-1630-0-84496400-1294740369_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

:thumbsu:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Ludwigia! Stop that! All the blood will run to your head!

Anyway, thanks everyone, I feel much better now :)

You see Doc, it all started when I noticed an upside-down hamites in a text book of all places. Now I realize the people who assemble books for the printers are often not the authors and someone just thought it looked like a seahorse, so......

It's just a condition we have to live with. I'm the same way when a Green River fish gets posted upside down, drives me to bang my head on the desk........might have to get a new desk......head will never get fixed and/or replaced :blush:

I'd never really thought about the correct orientation of the living chamber until you mentioned it here! I tend to favour the aesthetics and composition of the end photograph over the correct orientation, but that's just my preference. If I were submitting a photograph for publication in a scholarly journal I would be sure the specimen was oriented properly!

I think it depends on how the specimen had to be prepped. If you want some matrix left as a stand, and the only possible/feasible place to leave some, is as in Ludwigia's post, it looks wrong to have the matrix at the top of a photo'.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.