Ebay Spamming

davehunt

I'm not entirely sure how this occurred, but I believe I received an unsolicited eBay message today from a member of this forum (an invitation to visit his/her eBay fossil store).

Has anyone else run into this lately? I use a different, though similar, username on eBay. I'm just not sure how the connection was made and I stopped believing in coincidences a long time ago.

Dave

Edited by davehunt

I'm not entirely sure how this occurred, but I believe I received an unsolicited eBay message today from a member of this forum (an invitation to visit his/her eBay fossil store).

Has anyone else run into this lately? I use a different, though similar, username on eBay. I'm just not sure how the connection was made and I stopped believing in coincidences a long time ago.

Dave

Have you ever posted your email address on the open boards? There are "harvesters" crawling the web 24/7 that recognize email addresses, associate them with their found context, and sell their spamming services. (If any one feels compelled to post their email address to the world, at least substitute "AT" for "@").

Please PM me with the details of your incident.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I sell some of my surplus fossils and other stuff through eBay. As an eBay seller it really bugs me that someone would spam anyone on this board or any other board to try and make a quick buck. Hopefully this doesn't reflect badly on the majority of sellers that respect boundaries.