18 Mile Creek, Ny

dalmanites14

Hey

i am unable to find out an address or info on this fossil site. please help. i checked google and some other websites. :D

18 mile creek

NYS Paleontology

:)

- I read this 18 mile creek report again and realized a couple of the pieces of Favosite I found were filled w Petroleum.

I thought it was natural petroleum , then a few months later thought about someone throwing their motor oil or anti-freeze in the creek, so I threw most away, out of fear of poisoning the cats, and not wanting a contaminated specimen.

I kept the sections I could put away, they're very nice looking The favosite itself is a deep dark translucent gray, I will take photos of that too.The petroleum gel is a neon green color.

I wonder how to keep the rest of this natural petroleum in a fossil sample now, and I will keep the next piece with the actual gel and take photos.I find this pretty cool and a little weird, to find something biological in the fossil.Carmine.

btw - if you find some, I would still handle it carefully around yourself or pets, it is kinda noxious.

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

My LINK

Please check the first search result.

Please try to refine your searches, and look a little harder.

Please - read through a few pages.

Sometimes the answer is not in the first sentence, and you may have to look through a few web pages to get to where you want.

If you want help learning how to search for information, PLEASE, Ask for help to LEARN so you can do these relatively SIMPLE tasks for yourself.

I don't mind helping someone, but I'm not going to do ALL of your work for you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 of the first 15 threads on this page are you asking other people to sit down any type up information you have made virtually no effort to find out on your own. Perhaps you'd like some of us to go along and split rock for you too? Swinging that rock hammer can get so tiresome!

Don

sometimes it's good to remember that we do from time to time get some younger members who are more direct in their requests for information than others. it is my sense that it isn't due to a lack of initiative on their parts so much as it is just part of being at an age where their goals are large and immediate in their minds.

my two teens are "late teens" now and they're becoming a bit less linear in their focus but they still like to proceed fairly directly from A to B at whatever they've set their minds on. it seems to help them make rapid progress sometimes.

:)

it seems like new york fossil localities would be fun to get to explore. lots of good old stuff to see that i never see down on the silty/sandy gulf coastal plain...

Admirable response Tracer. Many, oft times forget, we're all not of the same mentality, have the same time or even know where to begin. Younger enthusiasts have an "immediate need". Perhaps not the best attitude but certainly not worthy of reprimand. Kudos to you for keeping a mind open to other possabilities.

Dalmanites14,

I'm in lower NYS where you really have to crawl and scrape to find even a mediocre site. What I have found helpful is reviewing the literature from the NYS Museum. They have a list of old geology reports that usually come with a detailed analysis which includes fossils and a map. Sometimes the site is no longer there but sometimes it is. At the very least you will learn about the rocks in your area and which ones contain fossils and which ones don't. Even if a site you were hoping to find is no longer there and contained fossils....you will then be able to note the rock formation and look on the map for where another outcrop of the same formation may be.

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/pubsforsale/

It's a lot of fun and can be productive. I've yet to rediscover anything fabulous as yet but I have found a few interesting things and I can pretty much guarantee that those rocks haven't seen a geology hammer in 50 years.wink.gif

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"