80% Of Marine Reptiles In Chinese Museums Are Fake

Hawkeye

Expert: 80% Fossils in Chinese Museums are Fakes

2011-01-13

About 80 percent of marine reptile specimens now on display in Chinese museums have been "altered or artificially combined to varying degrees", according to a marine reptile expert in the latest edition of Science magazine.

Li Chun, an associate researcher of the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Palaeoanthropology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, is disturbed by the sham fossils and the damage they do to science and children's science education.

"Fake fossils are like poisoned milk powder that injure and insult visitors," Li told Beijing Sci-tech Report, as he saw many children taking pictures with fake fossils. The thought of science being popularized by inauthentic fossils causes him great heartache.

Li hopes that the Regulations on the Protection of Paleontologic Fossils, which went into effect Jan. 1, will stop the overflow of fake fossils in Chinese museums.

"It's essential for both scientific research and credibility," Li said.

Fossils are considered the most important basis for scientific research; however, many fossils in Chinese museums have become inauthentic due to excessive modification, or improper attempts to "fix" the fossils, Li explained.

To the untrained eye, many fossils appear authentic and clear, but in fact they were modified by people who lack professional knowledge and the exquisite skill required. They destroy the original forms and biological structures of the fossils, which devalues them for research. Even worse, some fossils in Chinese museums are scrambled, misidentified, or even entirely artificial.

According to national regulations, only authorized organizations are permitted to partake in the fossil trade for all species of vertebrate, but illegal fossil mining and smuggling still exist in many places.

(Source: China.org.cn)

Link

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Great article and thanks for sharing it here Hawkeye.

On a similar note this reminds me of the Chinese dinosaur exhibition that was at the Field Museum a few years ago. I can remember my terrible disappointment only 12 paces in and $12 less in my pocket. Nearly every dinosaur and marine reptile were nothing more than cast reproductions! There was one frightful and mangy Psittacosaurus that quite frankly made most of ebay's offerings look like they should be on display at Smithsonian. AARRGGHH! In hindsight it made sense unfortunately, this was a traveling exhibit so no real practical way to have fragile valuable fossils traipsing across the globe. FMNH curiously omitted that tidbit of info from the promotional pamphlet they had sent me nearly a year before the unveiling.

Take nothing for granted .... even at a museum! :o

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The Chinese are great at making fakes as you can tell from this article. Would I purchase a Chinese fossil? If they are putting them in their museums just think what we are getting. It is like a best friend lying to me, that trust has been broken and it's a little difficult to believe anything they say unless you know what is the truth. I looked on E-Bay before posting and found 6 listings for Keichousaurus from $9.99 -$109, which is a low amount of listings for them on one to two pages. Which of these presumed fossils is authentic, wouldn't put a lot of connfidence in the yes column. I work hard for my money like everyone else, want to receive value for my labor so if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck---It's a duck---I believe I will stay away and save my money for something of true value.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

You would think that if they want to keep all of the fossils to themselves, that they would have real stuff to display :P

Go figure.

Most of their feathered dinosaurs are actually bird fossils combined with a dinosuar/reptile fossil creating a new species. Anyone want to buy one? Edit: I was planning to say some of their feathered dinosaurs are combinations of both bird and dinosaur fossils

Edited by ohiofossilhunter

Most of their feathered dinosaurs are actually bird fossils combined with a dinosuar/reptile fossil creating a new species. Anyone want to buy one?

Where did you get that from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Most of their feathered dinosaurs are actually bird fossils combined with a dinosuar/reptile fossil creating a new species. Anyone want to buy one?

One very bad apple you're referring to here. The infamous NatGeo Dino-Debacle. :wacko:

That disaster limits the chance of another elaborate hoax ... at least institutionally?? :unsure:

Unfortunately the charlatans and counterfeiters are a patient and resourceful lot. :angry:

Unimaginable what contrivances they'll try to cook up next .... :o

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

My copy of "Fossil Birds of China", published 2003, pictures the holotype specimen (and an artist's reconstruction) of 53 species. Many more have been added since, and they are real. What Chinese museums put on public display may be more "artfully presented" than those in Western museums, but their research collections are not corrupted.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!