Poc

CreekCrawler

Any of you Tx boyz gonna brave this heat manana at the creek? I'm going , but real early. I know most of the seasoned fossil hunters here have "been there, done that" at the creek. This is a brand new place for me and I really enjoy sifting as I have really never done it before. Just thought I'd check! :)

Well things have changed now. I have a friend going with me and he want's to see the Sulphur River, so off I go to the NSR.

Are there sharks teeth to be had there? I have never sifted that area,just walked around looking for fossils. I know people have found points there, do they walk them up or sift them?

thanks

B

Any of you Tx boyz gonna brave this heat manana at the creek? I'm going , but real early. I know most of the seasoned fossil hunters here have "been there, done that" at the creek. This is a brand new place for me and I really enjoy sifting as I have really never done it before. Just thought I'd check! :)

Well things have changed now. I have a friend going with me and he want's to see the Sulphur River, so off I go to the NSR.

Are there sharks teeth to be had there? I have never sifted that area,just walked around looking for fossils. I know people have found points there, do they walk them up or sift them?

thanks

B

Well I went , and I conquered! Not much! Here is a pic of what I took with me.

Looks like a couple of incomplete bacculites, a gyrodes, 2 worm tubes, 3 teeth.

We found the red-beds and poked around there a little. Sifted the teeth.Walked up the bacculites.Gyrodes in the red-bed.Coral looking rock ,walked up.

Is the second pic I am going to enclose a coral? It's a real nice looking specimen with an almost geode like structure in the middle of the specimen.

Any guesses? Or educated opinions? My buddy picked out a really nice complete bacculite in the red-beds. It's about an inch 1/2 and perfect,black.

Which means pyritized "I think" just like the gastropod in the first pic.

Bpost-417-1212291272_thumb.jpg

The pattern of colors in that coral are killer; ever think about cutting & polishing a facet on the back? Might reveal peautiful structures and enhance the specimen without detracting from the displayability of the front.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The pattern of colors in that coral are killer; ever think about cutting & polishing a facet on the back? Might reveal peautiful structures and enhance the specimen without detracting from the displayability of the front.

Hi Auspex, I just found the rock yesterday! I'm just not sure there are corals found in the area I found this one. Do you think it's a coral?

I would love to see the inside of it though. I'll have to do a little digging to find a lapidary shop close to me.

thanks for the kind words

B

Snakekeeper64

I'm not sure that is coral. I could'nt see enough detail in the photo. It looked more like an orbicular agate or jasper to me. In any case, it is a great looking rock. I'd polish the face and put it in my display case if I were you. Does that red color go all the way through the rock?

Incidently, I saw one of those ill tempered rat snakes slither into my garage yesterday. I've got so much stuff in there I can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll just keep it for a pet to handle the deer mouse population and wait for it to leave of its own accord.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Snakekeeper64

I'm not sure that is coral. I could'nt see enough detail in the photo. It looked more like an orbicular agate or jasper to me. In any case, it is a great looking rock. I'd polish the face and put it in my display case if I were you. Does that red color go all the way through the rock?

Incidently, I saw one of those ill tempered rat snakes slither into my garage yesterday. I've got so much stuff in there I can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll just keep it for a pet to handle the deer mouse population and wait for it to leave of its own accord.

JKFoam

I'm not sure if the red goes all the way through. I am presuming it does. Sounds like you have a Tx Rat. I have caught and released quite a few and yes they can be really nasty and musk all over your hands. I have only caught two that were not spastic when handled.

Do you think it's a coral?

B

The "bird's eye" pattern makes me think of a chunk of agatized coral that's been rolled around alot, but Snakekeeper64 may be right; cut it and see!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Actually I think the black ones would be of "phosphatic" preservation. Others may know for sure.

It's interesting that there's at least three different types of preservation of baculites in the Ozan formation at the NSR.

1. black phosphatic internal mold

2. red zone matrix internal mold with nacre traces outside

3. white mineral internal mold

Any guesses? Or educated opinions? My buddy picked out a really nice complete bacculite in the red-beds. It's about an inch 1/2 and perfect,black.

Which means pyritized "I think" just like the gastropod in the first pic.

B

I'd say phosphatic, unless it's got advanced Pyrite disease. Does it smell of Sulphur?

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

I'd say phosphatic, unless it's got advanced Pyrite disease. Does it smell of Sulphur?

There is no smell at all to it. I'm sure Lance and you are right., doesn't pyrite kida glitter a little?post-417-1212353702_thumb.jpg