Poc Microteeth

Tony Eaton

Here are some thumbnails of 1-3mm teeth from POC (Turonian / Coniacian boundary) from Texas. I need to take a second look at some of the IDs, right now I'm just playing with the camera.

Ischyrhiza mira (sawfish oral tooth)

note the sharp crown cusp, no complete transverse ridge

*corrected 1/20 9PM

th_Onchopristis_dunklei_lengual_view2.jpg

th_Onchopristis_dunklei_root_lengual_view.jpg

Texatrygon hooveri? (sawfish oral tooth)

*corrected 1/20 9PM

Note only a single transverse ridge, enamel folds.

th_Ischyrhiza_texana_oral_tooth_root.jpg

th_Ischyrhiza_texana_oral_labial.jpg

th_Ischyrhiza_texana_oral_tooth_crown2.jpg

th_Ischyrhiza_texana_oral_labial_1mm_closeup.jpg

Ptychotrygon vermiculata (added 1/20 PM)

Note multiple ridges (syn. P. triangularis)

th_triangularis_crown_view.jpg

Hybodont sp?

th_hybodont_labial.jpg

th_hybodont_lengual.jpg

th_Hybodont_striations_inset.jpg

Carcharias sp? *corrected 1/23 not Scyliorhinidae (catshark)

th_Scyliorhinidae_catshark_lengual_root_view.jpg

th_Scyliorhinidae_catshark_labial_angle_view.jpg

*added 1/23 image stacked for better focus

th_good_lengual_ready.jpg

th_good_labial_ready.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton

Tony---Nice shots and enjoy looking at the tiny teeth to bad they are so hard to display.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Off the top of my head, look up Ptychotrygon and see if you notice similarities.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

just curious what is the best place is best to find these micro stuff? and do you look at the fine stuff or the more gravel material

Wow! I really love those! The orange one is my favorite. I never really thought about looking for microfossils at POC, I was too busy trying to find those big teeth! XD I should give it a try next month and see if I can find some of those too! :) Fossil man, a sieve with very small mesh holes can pick up microfossils and I like to look in gravel areas.

**BTW Tony what is the Turonian / Coniacian boundary? See, I always thought POC touched the Eagle Ford. Im still learning...

Edited by Larsa

Very nice finds. I especially love the sawfish oral tooth.

I have never seen one almost transparent like that. Is that usual?

Welcome to the forum!

oh dagnabbit! i was so wanting to toss in something about the turonians and the coniacians being paleo people who lived around there! but seriously, they're ages, so now that you know that, you can go around telling others, "man! how you doin'? i haven't seen you in a coon's coniacian!"

it has been previously rumored to me that the toothiliferousness of that place is due to it being where the basal austin chalk (atco contact) greets the top of the eagle ford (fish tooth conglomerate). i just keep hoping that continental drift or something is bringing it closer to me cuz i'm slowing down in my old age...

Thanks all!

Dan, the sawfish teeth are similar to Ptychotrygon which is the most common & POC. I revised some of the IDs after reviewing elasmo.com, but I need to read further. I added a more clear cut Ptychotrygon from POC for reference too.

Fossil man, I think anywhere in POC with big teeth will have small teeth. I prefer to find places that soak the conglomerate rock without much current, so that I am more likely to find teeth dissolved from the rock w/o being tumbled.

I like using a mesh paper tray for sifting although I have some homemade screens too. I like to take material home and dry it off first. Then with good lighting the shinier tooth material becomes more obvious.

Larsa, I mention "Turonian / Conacian" time units but I think these teeth are probably all late Turonian. The conglomerate layer with the teeth seems to be a foot or two below the Austin versus further south where it is right on the boundary. Maybe this is closer to "Taft's Fishbed Conglomerate" versus the "Atco"?

Roz, I have a few translucent teeth like that, but I'd say 5% at best. Check out the Ptychotrygon I added.

Tracer, yes, I guess we need more continental drift ;-)

Nice micros, Tony.

Larsa, you can find micros just about anywhere you find macros. You just have to be looking for them. I have seen electron micrographs of incredibly small shells from the Stone City formation in Texas. I never knew they were there until someone showed me.

Thank you Squal and Tony! I love learning new stuff XD Im gonna print that chart as it may come in handy! :) I cant wait to go back to TX in a few weeks!!!

Nice teeth Tony!

The hybodont is really nice. It looks a bit like Meristodonoides but since it's not complete it's hard to tell. The one you're showing has rather heavy striations on the crown.

The final tooth doens't like Scyliorhinid to me. In my opinion it shows more similarities with a (para)symphyseal tooth of an Odontaspid.

The translucent teeth are pretty awesome indeedwub.gif

Thanks Heironymus. I agree w/ you on the catshark now that I look at some literature. Carcharias sp. A from page 91 from Welton and Farash has some similar teeth pictured although the ones pictured in "The Collector's Guide.." are a bit older from the Cenomanian.

I posted some image stacked pictures of the same tooth to keep the details in better focus and therefore hopefully better show the root shape, etc.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tony,

Good idea "to take material home and dry it off first", but the best is to use acetic acid at 8% to dissolve the rock. Do you use this method to find little species?

Hi Daniel,

I have some carbonate conglomerate material where I plan to try that. I plan to use 5% acetic acid (common vinegar) just because it is easy to find anywhere here in the United States. However, I am guilty of collecting a lot of rock and never getting around to dissolving it :-). I have several gallons / kilos of rock sitting around. I should have it outside in water to freeze / thaw this time of year but I haven't gotten around to that either :-)

I plan to use your tip of using a sieve, and gradually collecting as the material dissolves.

I have dissolved clay to collect small teeth with some success, usually with a borax based detergent, and even some drain cleaner (carefully).

Hi Tony

For the clay, it is easier ; you can use detergent or hydrogen peroxide, but be careful with pyrites because it produces a heat reaction. In fact with the clay, the most important is the drying of rock and a lot of rinsing water. At the moment, I am dissolving aptian rocks.

What level have you collected sharks teeth?

:D

I'd love to collect the Aptian material, the oldest Cretaceous shark teeth "easy" to find are Albian though. I collect Albian to Maastrichtian, and a little bit of Carboniferous (Mississippian: Visean) shark material when I'm lucky enough to find it.

The clay, (Kemp Clay) I've tried dissolving for teeth and microfossils responds well to hydrogen peroxide.

The above fossils weather out of a marly conglomerate layer at least a foot thick, maybe several feet thick in places. There is no need to dissolve this rock as it is soft enough to dissolve naturally.