New Triassic Tyrannosaurid?- Eodromaeus

piranha

It's not a tyrannosaurid. It says T. rex ancestor in the article because whenever something comes out in the popular media about anything in paleontology, it has to be framed in reference to T. rex. Bobby

It's not a tyrannosaurid. It says T. rex ancestor in the article because whenever something comes out in the popular media about anything in paleontology, it has to be framed in reference to T. rex. Bobby

Hey Bobby,

I picked up on that as well and added the '?' mark to the header.

Btw, what about Eoraptor being shuffled over to the sauropod lineage?

Just as sensational as the first premise? What say you?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

As a dinosaur hater... I'm indifferent, but I do end up absorbing quite a bit of dino paleo here simply by osmosis, because of all the students who are friends of mine here who work on dinosaurs. Apparently there are some issues with the teeth that made Eoraptor always seem like a stem sauropodomorph to some people... to be honest, a basal prosauropod is going to look just like a theropod anyway; in fact, stem sauropodomorphs and stem theropods will probably eventually be very difficult to tell apart (assuming that saurischia is monophyletic).

Bobby

As a dinosaur hater...

Heretic!

The link to T-Rex is inevitable as you say, even if it proves incredibly tenuous when reading the text.

I still found it interesting although ultimately unsurprising. I mean, even a cursory knowledge of the fossil record suggests that dinosaurs started out small in size and that because of a common ancestor there's going to be a lot of similarity amongst the early families until diversification through evolution allowed them to grow apart.

As to Eoraptor getting moved over to the sauropods, well that sort of thing happens all the time in dinosaur classification and it probably won't be the last time it gets moved either.

...(assuming that saurischia is monophyletic).

Aye, there's the rub!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!