Floraville Illinois

larryski

anyone been to floraville illinois? ive read that floraville has some very well preserved blastoids. i am not too far from there and planning on going soon. any help on specific locations would be a big help. thanks

anyone been to floraville illinois? ive read that floraville has some very well preserved blastoids. i am not too far from there and planning on going soon. any help on specific locations would be a big help. thanks

Hi Larryski,

Many folks here have first-hand experience with the Mississippian Chester Series fossils in Floraville also referred to commonly as Milstadt as well. Our great members from the Midwest will chime in and sort out the particulars for you. Meanwhile, here's a really great paper describing the Chesterian faunal assemblages and what you can expect to find when you finally go fossil hunting there.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find! :)LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Floraville Site

The intersection of Vogel School Road and the creek is the spot. I would not drive all the way down without a 4WD. If it is wet, I would be hesistant even with a 4WD. Once you turn on to Vogel school rd, go past the house on the right and another couple hundred yards and you will see a spot that looks like an entry into the farm field. Park there. Walk down to the creek. The bridge is long gone and the road does not cross the creek (google needs to update the map). After you pass the house on the right, the road is dirt the rest of the way. You can only get to the site from the north.

crinus

Edited by crinus

Here is a satelite view of the site. The old bridge is at the bottom. As you walk down the road, go to the right. You should see the large exposure. If you go further up the creek there is another exposure on the opposite side of the creek.

Good Luck

Floraville Site Satelite view

It's a great site. Been there several times.

Whatever you do...do NOT dig up the road. Please. There have been several knuckleheads that dig into the path that the landowner uses to cross the creek. If that keeps happening, he'll close it to collecting.

Things to look for...blastoids, of course. Some with the arms attached still. Edrioasteroids, a few crinoids, fish teeth, a few trilobite parts, lots of brachs, bryozoa and horn corals.

With our "lovely" weather, I think you'll be holding off until March! :(

Thank you to everyone posting info. I will post some pics after my trip

Where is Floraville in Illinois? Lived there for years and never heard of it.

Where is Floraville in Illinois? Lived there for years and never heard of it.

Just south and across the river from St. Louis. Near Columbia, Ill.