What Would It Be?

eaglephot

The Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx lithographica.

post-423-0-89024200-1296952128_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

a pterosaur

edit: I'd even be satisfied w a good pterosaur book, they seem kinda scarce...

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

If the size weren't an issue I'd say Sue. Arguably she's the biggest and baddest of them all. :bow:

She is the loveliest fossil ever .... I'll never forget our long romance. I'll always miss her dearly. :wub:

Sadly I left frigid Chicago for the 50-60 degree temps of the temperate winter months of Oregon. :P

Since size is a real consideration I'll still say Sue! I'll just have to include a fancy new house! :o

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I sure would like one of those incredible articulated Cretaceous mammals from Mongolia. I just looked for a photo on the web and found nothing.

Edited by jpc

what? no, bison?

That's the kind of answer I would expect from Tracer!

I'd say any of the famous Ediacarans, like Dickinsonia or Spriggina.

This is really difficult but an opalised ichthyosaur skeleton with a complete belemnite with soft parts in its stomach would do.

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

what? no, bison?

no, the world's largest e. ponderosa, with both valves, in perfect condition. its massiveness would only be surpassed by its perfection. hmmm, and tastefully colored, but nothing too gaudy.

bragging rights to large vertebrates are expected. everyone knows and expects dinosaurs and such to be big, so there's no real good shock value to it. but a very large percentage of people have no idea there were oysters the size of footballs out there, and so it would be cool to be the guy with the biggest one.

no, i'm not here to extol the virtues of inoceramids. regardless of their girth, they are not sexy.

says me, that's who! my opinions are bigger than yours too! <adjusting his hat which could be used for a beach umbrella>

If you could own any fossil, what would it be? I would have a Stegosaurus skeleton.

A nice 7" meg would be nice!

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

I've always dreamed of finding an associated dentition of shark teeth, especially of a very rare species such as Alopias grandis or Paraorthocodus clarkii, or perhaps Palaeocarcharodon orientalis.

Daryl.

A large section of fossilized meg jaw with all teeth intact. I of course would want to find it myself.

I've always dreamed of finding an associated dentition of shark teeth...

I literally had a recurring dream about finding ranks and rows of large Megs, stacked up like dinner plates in the clay...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would love to own a fossil rabbit from the precambrium, just for the entertainment value. Imagine the dinner table discussions!

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

I'd have the world's largest rex. Then I'd trade him in for a massive Mammoth, a huge Eremotherium, a Paleo Bison or two, a couple of sabercats, a Mastodon, a Platybelodon, a Titanothere, a bear, and a Neandertal. Oh, and a Woolly Rhino. How's that for planning? B):D

Actually, I'd settle for a skull from one of those. :blink:

Can Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders be fossilized? :D

seriously, any Lower Carboniferous shark, complete so I tell what they looked like...

Put me down for a complete articulated Elasmosaur from Kansas... And it should be prepped and delivered to my house. :D