Cretaceous Oddity

Wrangellian

Here is something of a puzzle from my local Upper Santonian exposure... It has a scaly structure as I hope will be evident in the photos. I'm not even sure if it's plant or animal (crinoid?), though it does seem to have that black carbonaceous composition that all the plant material from that site has. But never seen anything similar before. Any ideas welcome and appreciated.

I forgot something for scale (again) but it's roughly 10cm in length. The larger piece looks like the counterpart. I looked and looked for the rest of the 'part' but found nothing.

post-4372-0-99415000-1297293464_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-59648600-1297293490_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-52502500-1297293517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

Now that's cool!

Some kind of echinoderm???

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's one from Santana - not to be confused with Santonian! :P

Brachyphyllum sp.6.5" (16cm)

Lower Cretaceous - Crato Fm

Nova Olinda, Santana, Brazil

post-4301-0-03157900-1297295210_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Yes, well that's always the case with my fossils, it seems - incomplete or damaged, or otherwise not preserved as well as other examples from elsewhere!

But thanks as usual, Scott, I think that's a dead ringer. I was hoping mine was a crinoid though I didnt expect it, but I'm just happy to have come closer to a positive ID.

Hope you're not too disapointed about it not being a crinoid. I'd be thrilled to have a reasonably good representitive specimen of a cretaceous conifer. But then, I'm a sucker for Mesozoic plant material.