Dicroidium Dubium

paleoflor

Hi all,

Unfortunately it was broken in a rather crumbling way during shipment from Australia, but I think I managed to restore it quite nicely, even though the crack is still visible.This is the second time I have to deal with broken pieces during shipment. This last time, the rock was enforced by Styrofoam, bubble-wrap, several types of soft paper and the kept in place in little Styrofoam thingies. In spite of all efforts to prevent damage to the fossil, it still broke. Now my problem: a 30x30cm slab of Dicroidium is still to be transported from Australia. I am very nervous since I really do not want it damaged; any suggestions on how to pack it? I mean, would plywood re-enforcing help? Anybody experience with sending large slabs of shale-like material?

Thanks for any tips,

Tim

Edited by paleoflor

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Hi Tim,

That's a very beautiful large plate of Dicroidium. Congratulations on a museum quality fossil and even better repair! Your dilemma reminds me of the recent move of my entire collection from Illinois to Oregon and a 3 foot Calamites that I had repaired from four broken pieces. My thought then as it is now; why hadn't I waited until after the final shipment to effect those repairs? For me though the challenge paid off as I was able to repair it, display and enjoy it for a few months before the gut-wrenching weeks of waiting to receive it again unharmed. I think your idea to secure it to a plywood board is imperative, especially because it's already compromised by the previous damage. Another great safeguard is different insulating materials progressively providing firmer support in layers. And finish with a double boxed setup, layered in packing peanuts to give your magnificent fossil an air-ride right to your front door ... safe and sound!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi,

any suggestions on how to pack it? I mean, would plywood re-enforcing help? Anybody experience with sending large slabs of shale-like material?

When I have to send very fragile objects by post, I make at first a very good packaging in a cardboard (box) with of papers-bubbles and all that it is necessary to weaken well the shocks.

Then, I put this cardboard(box) closed in a bigger cardboard, and I insert between both (top, bottom, and on every side) some creased newspaper paper. The set must not be too much squeezed to allow it to weaken the shocks.

I sent many times current sea urchins with their spines in this way, from France to Canada for farthest, and the addressees have never had problem.

If my experiencecan help you...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Tim.... Very nice specimen...It may of been a natural plane of weakness in the shale and gradual drying and a few bumps and bouncess was all it took to initiate the fracture during transit...I think Coco has a very good point, you can make the package 'too stiff' where the shock absorbing properties of the parcel are lost... Just be careful strapping it to plywood that you dont induce some bending on the slab and then create your own problems... I really like the 2 box idea...maybe use the 1/4 plywood squares merely as a tough buffer to disperse impact with them situated in between the inner and outer packaging...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Has the place of the plywood, I think that it vould be better to use a plate of polystyrene 2 cms in thickness. It is flexible and that will absorb the vibrations.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg