Collecting In South Carolina

Lee Taylor

I thought I would post some photos and video showing some of the items I have found here in South Carolina. I am happy to share with others where I have found fossils and artifacts

(although I cannot share sites I have been requested to keep confidential)

Years ago I floated down a portion of the Edisto river in South Carolina. The reason I say a portion is because the Edisto river is 206 miles long. I found the Edisto river to be a very friendly river in the area (Givhans Park) where I was. It looks like I am going to be spending some more time on and in the Edisto river in the future. I have be researching the different public boat landings and access points. I do know that the Edisto river produces many sharks teeth and fossils. I am a collector of fossil bits, sharks teeth, arrowheads, spearpoints, pottery, and the like.

It would be helpful if I had some advice or pointers in regards as to specifically which areas along this 206 mile river are known for producing such. I know the Ace Basin, the part of the Edisto closest to the ocean, produces massive high quality red Megalodon teeth. I am currently targeting areas further inland.

Any suggestions, or tales of past Edisto fossil hunts or dive trips, greatly appreciated.

I think this is called a Murex. I found it offshore SC

100_2222.jpg

Teeth I found

105-0546_img.jpg

Artifacts and fossils I found

Edited by Lee Taylor

really fun hearin bout the rifles Lee, gig your research tell how they packed those cases of rifles on the ships back then?sawdust? thanks for making and sharing this!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

really fun hearin bout the rifles Lee, gig your research tell how they packed those cases of rifles on the ships back then?sawdust? thanks for making and sharing this!

I saw the cases and rifles. The wood was at least 50% rotted away on both the case and the rifles. The cases of rifles I saw found, came off a civil war shipwreck called the Governor. They used blowers (scooters turned backwards) to uncover them. They were under the sand. The Winchester rifle part came off a civil war shipwreck called the Sherman. Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed my posting.

Edited by Lee Taylor

Visited the Edisto River (in SC) yesterday. I was in search of public boat access ramps and anything fossiliferous. Looked at the four public boat landings below Givhans State Park.

The Edisto is a very beautiful black water river with limestone bluffs. It claims to be the longest black water river in America. Here is a photo slideshow of the Edisto River