Pet Glyptodont

Cris

Very cool, Cris. Have you found any other associated bones?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nothing other than osteoderms so far..which I find a little strange. But looking at the skeleton of one of these things, they weren't built the same way a lot of other mammals were. They wouldn't have had tons of vertebrae to find.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Glyptotherium arizonae: bringing him back to life one match at a time. :P

There you really have a daunting task waiting for you. The pieces look very nice even on their own! This is the first time I see fragments of these. Thanks for sharing.

The link don't link for me... :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry, something went wrong.

We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.

Could it be my 'puter?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

i doubt it Chas, I get the same message,:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I have no idea what's wrong with the link...so I'll just post all of the photos here.

post-1553-0-37707900-1297612796_thumb.jppost-1553-0-87840400-1297612818_thumb.jp

post-1553-0-23333500-1297612842_thumb.jppost-1553-0-43295800-1297612861_thumb.jp

post-1553-0-82018700-1297612770_thumb.jppost-1553-0-14531000-1297612648_thumb.jp

You guys can't imagine how much time just these few matches took. I have 400 of the 2000 osteoderms, each osteoderm has about 6 sides and they all look almost identical. Talk about the ultimate puzzle. At least this one comes with a lot more satisfaction when you find a match.

Wow! Do you have enough to maybe build the whole Buckyball?

that was so worth waitin to see Cris, the stuff you find always amazes me.Thanks!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thanks for the comments, guys. As it is right now, I go into where I have them stored, try to find a match for a solid hour, get frustrated and give up. Why don't these things come numbered? :P

OMG, some really stellar finds. Now lets see that complete Armadillo on Steroids !!!

Working on it... At this rate, if by some strange chance even close to all of the pieces were there... And I worked on it four or five times a week, it would still take me years to complete.

My favorite kind of jigsaw puzzle. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have been wondering about this find. Really neat that you are able to find any of them that will fit together. Keep us updated. Perhaps the next time I am down that way I will see them in person.

Cris, don't see what the problem is putting it back together, they were just the size of a Volkswagon, small guys---HA-HA.--Tom

post-3940-0-17166100-1297720826_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Awesome and spectacular Cris! ;)

Your beautiful fossils remind me of the Darwin exhibit I attended a few years ago at FMNH. They had a complete glyptodont fossil replica displayed. It was representative of the fossils Darwin discovered all across Patagonia on his celebrated HMS Beagle expedition. Years later Darwin concluded that the absence of any armadillo fossils collected indicated that armadillos had in fact descended from glyptodonts.

Hope you can piece most of it together ... keep us posted! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very cool!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

the preservation and size and color of them is really pretty special, i think. there's something very pleasing to the eye about them, compared to all the other ones i've seen.

I know your pain Cris. I went through that with a busted up turtle shell from the White River Formation. Spent hours and hours on it and I only had about 40 pieces to work with instead of 400...

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Thanks for all the comments, guys...and sorry about the delay in replying.

Cris, don't see what the problem is putting it back together, they were just the size of a Volkswagon, small guys---HA-HA.--Tom

When I first made this find, I went to the FLMNH to look at that glyptodont and see how the osteoderms were arranged...after a couple minutes, I realized something wasn't quite right with it. It has tons of huge osteoderms of the same shape, but I'm finding all different sizes, shapes and thicknesses. It turns out that that carapace of that one in the museum was used for a movie many years ago and donated to the museum when they were done. They used a big stamp to press the rosette pattern in the shell before it dried. You wouldn't believe how confused that thing had me before I learned that.

Well that's just wrong... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had fossil fever lately and decided to mess around with this find a bit more. In no time at all, I found multiple additional matches. HERE is the link to the new sections I have going. I really like the longer strip of large osteoderms - I hope I can keep building off of that one and make a large plate from it eventually.