Oldest Tool Made By Humans In N.america

bear-dog

:laughing on the floor 24: It's hard keeping a straight face while typing this.Has anyone seen this on e-bay? Item #140511853253 is supposed to be the oldest tool in North America.It is a partial Meg tooth with a bone section in the base.

It has the gurantee not to have been repaired,etc.and is going for the low price of $995,000.I figure if it was real it would have had major coverage by the press.It reminds me of the whale verts.with the points in them seen at some shows.

For another good laugh see the dolphin tooth for over $100.00 and read the descripton on it. :rofl:

Bear-dog.

:laughing on the floor 24: It's hard keeping a straight face while typing this.Has anyone seen this on e-bay?Item #140511853253 is supposed to be the oldest tool in North America.It is a partial Meg tooth with a bone section in the base.

It has the gurantee not to have been repaired,etc.and is going for the low price of $995,000.I figure if it was real it would have had major coverage by the press.It reminds me of the whale verts.with the points in them seen at some shows.

For another good laugh see the dolphin tooth for over $100.00 and read the descripton on it. :rofl:

I saw this several days ago and wondered how long it would take for it to come up in discussion on the forum. I have always wondered if older man came across teeth just like we do and why, if they did, wouldn't they use a sharp one as a spear point rather than making them from flint. Even if this is a real artifact, I doubt it is nearly as old as they claim. I have found 5000-9000 year old points in the same deposits as fossils and doubt that this tool is much older than that. However, I will say that it appears the barnacles are covering the carved/notched portion of the base and thus validate the fossil was carved before it was put in the water and is at least a few years old based of the size of the barnacles. The price is ridiculous either way!

:laughing on the floor 24: It's hard keeping a straight face while typing this.Has anyone seen this on e-bay?Item #140511853253 is supposed to be the oldest tool in North America.It is a partial Meg tooth with a bone section in the base.

Links would help :D

It's an interesting piece but from what I understand stem points weren't made 20,000 years ago. I'm not an expert on artifacts but it seems too fishy to me.

If that is really what it was used for I think it is really cool. The price not so much.

:) If it was authentic it would have been all over the news.Not you seen it here on e-bay first. :D

Bear-dog.

I was wondering as well on how long it'd take until that listing ends up here in the forum. And I am glad I have not been disappointed! :sword:

There are no accepted sites in north America known to have been inhabited by humans older than about 13000 to 15000 years old. Pretty funny never seen a shark tooth arrowhead before.

I found a tooth which was used by indians for something as they drilled a hole through the top.

Could just have been a boring clam.

Okay, it says he found this "tooth, spear point" in 110 feet of water. Now, I am no expert at this, but do barnacles grow that deep? Second, if he found the meg, carved it and put it somewhere he could find it, barnacles would grow in a year or so. I'm just saying.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Could just have been a boring clam.

:) Possibly ,but numerous drilled sharks teeth have been found in Florida.They have been studied enough[the drilled ones]to say they were artifacts. :D

Bear-dog.

I actually took the sharks tooth along with a lot of other artifacts I have found at my spot to the county archaelogist. He confirmed that it was made by indians saying that it was either used as weapon, jewelry, or tool. Since it is in really good condition and looks like it has never been used I would go with jewelry . One of my favorite finds, I will post a picture of it once I head back down to my house for spring break.

first of all, its a stemmed point meaning at least archaic, not paleo. I have seen an arrowhead found off of the Flint river in Ga that was knapped to resemble a meg tooth. There are numerous teeth founf drilled for odorment/jewelry here in Fl. I have a point made from clay I found digging, I have seen points made from busycon shell, so anything is possible. His description needs some clarifying though

faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com

I love the line in his description... So what's stopping you from making this purchase? Oh I don't know, maybe the MILLION dollar price tag? haha!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

According to Marjory Douglas (an advocate who lived to be over 100 and helped convince congress to make the Everglades a National Park), south Florida Indians did use shark's teeth as arrowheads.

However, I read somewhere that fossil shark's teeth would be too brittle and wouldn't work.

I'm sure the Indians tried and failed with fossil shark's teeth which they no doubt found and wondered about.

Finally got back to venice and took a pic of my sharks tooth. Would love to find more but they seem pretty rare.

post-4757-0-38479200-1299434358_thumb.jpg

I took the liberty:

post-423-0-91518700-1299435427_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) I have no problems with tools or jewelry made by indians,there are many out there.What gives me the warning sign when I see it is its looks.It appears to be in 2 pieces.It looks like someone took an incomplete tooth and placed a carved bone in the end and filled the void.

I have seen a real meg tooth used as a spear point/arrowhead,it was 1 piece.The root was modified to be hafted to the shaft.I have seen numerous pictures of others also 1 piece.Im sure the Indians knew how fragile the teeth were as points and didnt go through the trouble of making a 2 piece version.

Also if this was real and one of a kind ,to me the owner would have it varified by a museum to make the price more understandable.This would have been followed up with a write up in the press due to how rare it was.Im not arguing that a meg tooth couldnt be used for the purpose,just that the rarity of the item didnt get varified by the pros and there was no coverage on this rare item. :D

Bear-dog.