The Beauty Of Amber.

FossilForKids

Here are a few of my showier pieces of amber. The first two I carved and polished by hand (with a dremel for edging) from very rough Chiapas amber. Neither one of them have identifiable insects in them but the diamond has awesome blue highlights and the middle one is loaded with organic material. The third one is a beauty from the Dominican Republic load with female worker ants. Each piece is well over two inches in length.

post-1292-0-99223800-1298229140_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-35672300-1298229148_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-39652400-1298229161_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

That piece of blue Chiapas amber is gorgeous! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:drool: Love it!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks guys! I have joined a gem and mineral club and I'm learning to use grinders and cutters so I will be experimenting on some of my rough larger pieces. So there should be some more pictures in the near futures.

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

• 3 years later...

i really love that third piece, looks like the resin plopped smack dab right on top of the ant colony! interesting thing: i heard somewhere that dominican amber is somewhat related to chiapas amber (my reasoning is that the Dom rep. broke off mainland mexico or somewhere near it) but chiapas is quite rare. don't quote me on it but i heard someplace on the internet that the supply of chiapas amber is starting to dry up. all in all, awesome amber you got there.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.