Paraorthacodus Clarkii

cowsharks

Does anyone know if the shark "Paraorthocodus clarkii" has a regular non-scientific or "common" name? Elasmo only refers to it as a shark belonging to the Palaeospinacid family. What I want to know is if anyone ever gave this shark a common name. I know we all mix and match shark "names" when we talk about them like "hemi's, mako's, otodus, tiger's, paleo's, etc. It gets kinda old having to say that long name, and most folks wouldn't know what a "clarkii" was if you shortened it, unless they were already familiar with that tooth. This particular tooth type is something I find in the Paleocene of Maryland. I know there are other similar species like P. nerviensis from W. Kazakstan, but it's considered a cretaceous species. Below is one of the nicer examples of P. clarkii that I have, but have a few others with tan roots and blue crowns - much rarer.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-25611000-1298317374_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowsharks

They are VERY cool looking teeth, but as far as I know, there is no common name

post-77-0-30492700-1298319364_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Maybe you should call them 'chodes; easy off the tongue, and an acknowledgment of the synonymous Synechodus as well...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:mellow:

um, ya'll are helping me again...

why is it so difficult in a few hundred million years to get something named after yourself?

• I found this Informative 1

cool tooth... my guess is that the Paleocene of NC is not as much collected as the later and Cretaceous beds on the esat coast, so no one has come up with a nickname for them. This is your chance. Make something up and use it.

cool tooth... my guess is that the Paleocene of NC is not as much collected as the later and Cretaceous beds on the esat coast, so no one has come up with a nickname for them. This is your chance. Make something up and use it.

hmm, good idea, I think I'll do that. Heck why not, who says someone more qualified with higher degrees than mine should have all the fun coming up with names for sharks. As an aside, I wonder who came up with the name Megamouth since that shark wasn't discovered until the 1970's?

Anyhow, now that I have my latin names book that someone on TFF recommended, I'll start looking up some words and see if I can't come up with a name for this shark. Something that eludes to the "multicusped" nature of the tooth perhaps.

Daryl.

I'm no expert, but I tried to decipher the Latin, assumning it is named in Latin. (Could be Greek). Para means "not exactly" or "close to"... think paralegal, paranormal, paramilitary. The rest of the word is beyond me. I look forward to what you come up with...

Edited by jpc

perhaps something about having many accessory cusps similar to the main cusp?

I'm no expert, but I tried to decipher the Latin, assumning it is named in Latin. (Could be Greek). Para means "not exactly" or "close to"... think paralegal, paranormal, paramilitary. The rest of the word is beyond me. I look forward to what you come up with...

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Because Paraorthacodus died out at the end of the Paleocene, 55 million years before any fishermen were around to put a common name to them, there really isn't a common name for it. It's like Tyrannosaurus, no one has a common name for that either but they get around it with the abbreviation, T. rex. However, I have seen a few people call it a "horn shark," though it was not related to Heterodontus, which is more widely recognized as the "horn shark" group.

Still, people have come up with "ric" for C. auriculatus and "meg" for megalodon so feel free to try to get the ball rolling with a "thac" or a "cody" or whatever. Paraorthacodus is a lesser-seen shark, rather rare in many of its known localities, so it might be tough to get something to stick.

Does anyone know if the shark "Paraorthocodus clarkii" has a regular non-scientific or "common" name? Elasmo only refers to it as a shark belonging to the Palaeospinacid family. What I want to know is if anyone ever gave this shark a common name. I know we all mix and match shark "names" when we talk about them like "hemi's, mako's, otodus, tiger's, paleo's, etc. It gets kinda old having to say that long name, and most folks wouldn't know what a "clarkii" was if you shortened it, unless they were already familiar with that tooth. This particular tooth type is something I find in the Paleocene of Maryland.