Winston Salem Nc

ahuijsmans

Hi everyone,

My sister in law is going to the US july of this year for her second visit. She's probably staying with some folks in Winston Salem.

Anyone from that region in here? Are there any spots for fossiling over there?

Would be a nice gift, she returning with a nice big Meg :D

[edit]whoops, wrong state :D [/edit]

Edited by ahuijsmans

I believe you mean Winston Salem, North Carolina.

Depending on how much you want to drive, you might wanna check out some Aurora spoil piles.

My 2 cents worth

Winston-Salem is about 5 hrs away from most coastal sites. Unless you go to any shops and buy the megs geting one on a hunt is not unheard of but rare for a one time w/e visitor. Lots of nice teeth can be had and maybe a semi-rare tooth or fossil bone could be had from coastal mines or creeks. There are alot of choices to choose from and maybe the best overall place is Green Mills Run in Greenville,NC, or a Friday visit to Rocky Point,NC near Wilmington,NC as well Castle Hayne,NC but have to call ahead to see if they are allowing people in. Aurora has only spoil piles and lots of broken pieces IE:missing tips of partial roots etc.. Rarely a whole MEG but could happen who knows. Does she have a laptop that she can communicate with NC guys,gals that are here on forum when she gets here?? Will she have transporation to drive 5 or more hrs?? She can always hook up with some of us for a Saturday or Sunday hunt if we know to expect her.

Just a thought, I'n July it's going to be very very hot for surface collecting. So sticking to the creeks and beaches might be a little easier for collecting. Winston-Salem is at the other side of the state so it would be a bit of a drive. Definitely contact some forum members a little closer to the date and try to organize a hunt.

Green Mill Run is a great location, you find a mix of well preserved Cretaceous and Pliocene fossils. If your extremely lucky as I'n the case of Daryl last weekend, you find an awesome Meg your first trip there. Dont let that fool you, it took me over a year and a half to find one. But there is also a few Pleistocene fossils to be found as well, and nobobody walks away from that creek empty handed.

There is always something interesting to be found I'n Aurora spoils as well. Whole megs and chubs are rare but one shows up occasionally. But the largest I ever saw out of there was 3.5" long. But other then a root lobe, it was a real beauty. But the chance of flawless hastalis teeth, aurora croc teeth, cow shark teeth and many other possibilities make a trip there worth it. And the museum and it's wonderful staff is worth a visit as well.

There are several beaches in NC and SC that are sometimes worth walking at low tide as well.

And as far as NC goes, call ahead to see if they are open for hunting, but Belgrade Quarry, Richlands Quarry, Castle Hayne and Rocky Point Quarry produce large shark teeth as well. But are best after A LOT of rain and in the summer months you will want to carry a gallon or two of water with you. And be prepared for bugs and snakes.

But as previously mentioned, once you have dates and it gets closer to that, start contacting some forum members.

Good luck!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

thanks guys! taking it all into account.... :D many options to choose from ;) so she'd better come home with something :P