Safety Sticky?

32fordboy

Great thread topic. If nothing else, it might help some of the "newbies" to the hobby be more safety conscious. I've been in the hobby for about 15 years, and to be honest, at 30 yrs of age (then), I don't think I thought much about first aid or injuries, other than being careful walking under or near 80 foot cliffs.

Instead of trying to give first aid advice, which I don't know a lot about, my suggestion is for folks to first think about their own health status and any conditions they may have. What I mean by this is the health concerns of a young 20 year old are not the same as a 60 year old. First, know your body and health status. Use common sense, if you have a bad back don't be lifting heavy boulders. If you have a heart condition, do you carry aspirin with you, have a fully charged cell phone, have a buddy with you? If you're a diabetic, do you have insulin or other food items with you?

From personal experience I learned last year that my back is not what it used to be. After just one hour of sifting some beach gravel for sharks teeth, my back went out and I couldn't even walk. I crawled for a 1/2 mile to my backpack and called my wife. Two hours later, she and our two teenage sons "rescued" me and helped me to my car. Now I am a bit more cautious and "listen" to my back when it starts to ache a bit.

Where I collect, I don't have to worry so much about venomous snake bites as the folks in other parts of the US. My biggest concern regarding "wildlife" is probably ticks with Lyme disease, so I almost always bring tick repellent. Now in your part of the US (or world in general), maybe ticks aren't your concern, but rattlesnakes, mountain lions, or jackelopes are.

So, when I go collecting, which is usually by myself, I always have my cell phone (charged) and water. Yes, somewhere in my backpack are some bandaids with neosporin, but that stuff isn't going to save your life.

Know your limitations, and most of all, have fun!

Daryl S.

Sensible advice, Daryl!

As far as prescribing first aid treatments, the best thing we can do is urge anyone reading what will be a pinned topic here to acquire (from the best source) up-to-date procedures for things like snakebite and other serious injuries. Even linking such advise is less desirable, because treatments change, and not all sites are kept up to date. Bad or incomplete advise for life-threatening situations is sometimes worse than no advise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The past few posts on what not to do in case of snakebite are absolutely right. No cutting, sucking or tourniquet. The snakebite kit I have is a cool little pseudo-syringe thing. That is, it looks like a syinge, but instead of injecting as you push down, it actually sucks very hard. Pulls the skin up into a little attached cup. I was told in one of my first aid classes that it is the only system that does any good. Did the teacher have stock in the company? I don't know. But it is fun to play with. If I ever get bit by a snake I would use it, then calmly get myself to the hospital.

I know lots of folks here say never to head into the backcountry alone, but that is one of the highlights of this hobby to me. I prefer solitude out there. Me and the antelopes and coyotes.

:) Western or Eastern Coyotes?There's a difference.The Eastern variety has Wolf dna.in its blood line,and usually don't run when prevoked.That's why I carry my little friend with me. :D

Bear-dog.

I use my kids old soccer shin guards when i rock hunt especially when I am going to be using a shledge hammer. It will not stop a broken leg but i've prevented a lot of rock from taking chunks of meat out of my shin even through my jeans.

We all know this one SUN SCREEN even on cloudy days. :)

A little back info on myself. I am a Fire Lt. and a Fire-ParaMedic.

1- In any emergency situation the first step is to slow down collect yourself and ascess your situation. If it is a snake 90% of bites are dry or nearly dry. The snake does not want to waste venom on something it cannot eat

2- DO NOT put a tournicut on your limb ever. If you do you are basicly saying goodbye to any part below the tournicut.

3- Don't suck on a snakebite if there is venom one of the best places for entry is through the mucus membranes in the mouth, why do you think they put nitro there

4- If you have no communications walk slowly and deliberatley to help.

5- 84% of poisionus snakebites in the US are one sort of pit viper. The poision is not instintanious you do have a while to get to antivenmom.

6- Snakes do not want to bite you, you are not food.

I am not a doctor but I do have a good background in emergency (ALS)Advanced Life Support Care. If anyone has a question feel free to PM or post here.

You could get hit by a milk truck while walking to the beer store.

When it's your turn what can you do

My self, I have to wear a heart rate monitor when I go out collecting, and I never go out by my self.

Did I tell you about the snakes I can across this year, I was not walking I had stopped to relief my self

the one snake got wet the others just make nose as the ran for cover

LOL I agree :) It is good to take precautions but why let too many get in your way of having a good time.

-CW

back when i was really stupid, i kept various poisonous snakes. then i got rid of them and escalated to keeping tj, but that's a whole different level of risk. and yes, as a matter of fact he has injured me more than the snakes ever did.

the poisonous snakes i kept varied dramatically in temperament. on multiple occasions, they did things which surprised me, and on a couple of occasions, they almost got me. a number of them very much wanted to bite me, not because it was in their personal best interests to do so, but just because of who they were.

an important thing to know about poisonous snakes is not to anthropomorphize them. their behavior doesn't need to be rationalized nor minimized. it is what it is.

the best advice is do not get bitten. but if you must, then if you are given the choice between #1 - a copperhead, and #2 - a mojave rattler, the answer is C - none of the above.

p.s. - if the mojave gets you, ask it if it has type A venom. if it says "yes", then just spend what time you have left marveling about the coolness of a talking snake. no point in running for help and dying tired.

(edit: humor removed due to concerns over whether there's perhaps one person on the planet who would just sit around talking to the rattler cuz of their deep and abiding respect for all my thoughts)

(edit #2 - sometimes i think i'm a bubble off of plumb.)

<tracer walks out, shimmering in his kevlar drama pajamas>

He's here all week, folks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

He's here all week, folks!

And it's why I keep coming back for the next show. If I could, I would tag all of tracers posts cause even though he sometimes says serious stuff, he's always bound to revert back to saying sompin funny.

I find it best over the years, Because I never now when Im heading out, I ALWAYS keep a big jug of water in my trunk, pack back behind my seat with a little first aid kit and knife, and my rock pick hammer on the front floor board. I'll stop at a store for snacks and most important I fill the tank, that car can keep me warm for days if need be. And when your out there staring at the dirt use your ears and nose to see with, Its saved me!

We are accumulating good tips on preparedness, situational awareness, and risk assessment, for safety in the field; keep 'em coming!

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about something that my wife got me a couple years ago...my RoadID wristband. Here's a link for you to check it out and get more details. https://www.roadid.com/Common/Default.aspx

Essentially, it's a wristband, designed by you with your information on it. I have the "interactive" Sport wristband. It has some of my information on it, and then has a toll free phone number and website for emergency responders to use to gain access to my Emergency Response Profile (ERP). You build your own ERP profile to contain whatever medical information you want such as medications you take, blood type, allergies, etc. This is critical info that emergency responders like paramedics might need in order to give you proper medical attention. Ok, so what does it cost? I think my wife paid $20 for the wristband, and then there's an option depending on whether or not you get the "interactive" option, to pay a low yearly fee to maintain your profile etc. You know, I question my wife all the time about how much she spends on stuff...clothes, groceries, just out of curiosity, but I never asked her how much this cost because it was important for her to have a little peace of mind that I always wear that wristband when I'm out fossil collecting.

It comes in other options such as ankle bracelet, shoe pouch, etc. I highly recommend you folks check this out, and if you do, look at the FAQ page (https://www.roadid.com/Common/Faq.aspx) which has more info than I can type here.

Daryl S.

Okay, moving beyond snakes, I thought I would throw in a few diving tips. Afterall, dive spots are often secluded and pretty deep.

1. Tell spouse where you will be and when you plan to be back (was covered already but worth repeating!)

2. Make sure and take a look at that air guage every once and awhile. It is easy to get caught up in your underwater search until you breath your last breath. I haven't done this one yet, but it could happen if there was enought megs to distract me.

3. In your rush to get in the water, don't forget to hook up the inflator valve. I wish I could say I have never done this, but I have now on two occasions. I guess you must be a diver to know what I am talking about, but this is a mistake you usually don't even catch until you are nearing the end of your air supply and press the inflator valve putton to assist your return to the surface only to hear nothing. It is hard to hook up a pressurized inflator valve in zero vis while wearing 3mil or thicker gloves when you have the knowledge of very limited air supply left on the brain.

4. If something bites you, go the other direction. This is possible in zero vis and knowing the identity of the offender is not as important as making sure the next bite isn't worse.

5. Any equipment failure should signify an end of a dive. It is tempting to continue a dive while compensating for equipment failure, but the consequences could be deadly. I once had a high pressure spool on my guage blow (only at a depth of 45ft).

6. Sometimes you must drop the goods. If you arrive at the surface with so much in your goodie bag that you cannot float and have too limited air to make it to the distant boat, something must be dropped (either goodies or weight belt).

I will think of more, but just thought I would broaden the scope of the thread.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Up here, we bone diggers have an under standing, that if you get hurt the others in your group can use their hammers to put and end to your pain.

Then they can take what fossils you had in your back packtongue.gif

That belongs in the fossil story thread. ;)

Another thing I've been thinking about is knee health in general. At the ripe old age of 25 my knees are already cracking thanks to doing bodywork on cars low to the ground. Pads don't help, as it's the up and down motion that causes the problems. Luckily they heal up after a few months of no projects.

Knee health might be the number one most important factor for long-term hunting abilities.

A few obvious suggestions, perhaps more essential for British localities.

When at a location, by the sea always remember to keep an eye on the tide, it makes a slightly different sound when it is retreating. Always look at the tide times before hand and make sure you have allowed yourself enough time to get home, and not be cut of by the tide. Also, this may sound obvious, but there have been cases on the news, being to near to the cliff and being hit by a falling rock. It is all too easy for a rock to tumble away down the beach and wack you in the leg, you don't even have to be near the actual cliff for it to happen. Keep an eye on your surroundings the whole time.

This last one may also sound very obvious but it is very important. When walking along the top of a cliff make sure you always stick well away from the edge, i've heard of a few tragic cases in the past.

Be Safe.

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

That belongs in the fossil story thread. ;)

Another thing I've been thinking about is knee health in general. At the ripe old age of 25 my knees are already cracking thanks to doing bodywork on cars low to the ground. Pads don't help, as it's the up and down motion that causes the problems. Luckily they heal up after a few months of no projects.

Knee health might be the number one most important factor for long-term hunting abilities.

Think about it fore a moment, you don't want to lose that T-REX tooth you just found to anyone, so there for you walk safely tongue.gif

As in my case it's a bad hip and lower back I wont talk about the heart problems ( so you still want to go hiking with me)smile.gif

there's a fair number of fossils that are radioactive

<he announced, and then just looked around at everyone>

<unblinkingly>

:mellow:

got any roentgens?

glow fish!

Although most of the advise given here seems sound, it may not be the best idea to have a thread in which people can offer advise on dangerous circumstances. From a legal standpoint, it's really sticking out your neck. I'm not that familiar with the U.S. common law, but it does seem like a good way to attract a law suit. Wouldn't it be better for TFF to strongly urge caution and provide links to sites with sound advise?

omg, i retract my previous comment about chatting with crotalus scutulatus after an envenomation! i have no idea what you should do if that happens, but please perhaps consider considering medical intervention prior to legal consultation. maybe; if you want to. it's up to you.

Although most of the advise given here seems sound, it may not be the best idea to have a thread in which people can offer advise on dangerous circumstances. From a legal standpoint, it's really sticking out your neck. I'm not that familiar with the U.S. common law, but it does seem like a good way to attract a law suit. Wouldn't it be better for TFF to strongly urge caution and provide links to sites with sound advise?

The results will be a compilation of factors to think about for the sake of avoiding injury, and will not be presented as comprehensive. After-the-fact medical advice will be left to those competent to prescribe it, via links to sites which are known for being kept up-to-date.

Just to add my own opinion (don't know if it's up there through all those threads, not bothering to look right now), if you're sifting for fossils in a stream or anything, never EVER stay when it rains. You'll be eye level with a fish before you know it.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

I was reminded today, always wear sunblock, even (especially) when it is cloudy. If you are old you have already had too much sun exposure and if you are young and already fossil hunting, you will have too much sun exposure by the time you are old. Skin cancer will limit your fossil hunting time.

Also read this

Edited by Scylla

I know what I worry about in Florida, chomp chomp :startle:

actually i think it's more like chomp, twirl, glub glub...