Nevada/arizona Fossils, Anyone?

midnitezan

Hello everyone!

Some of you may recognize me as the guy that started a post asking forum members for their ideas of the best fossil site to go to.

I'd like to thank all of you for giving me your input and ideas! I would love to go to all of them if I could...but I neither have the time nor the money... I guess I would have to save those trips for the future!

After discussing lengthly with my friend, we finally decided to do a road trip from LA and stop at Hoover Dam and then head to Grand Canyon. I want to do some fossil hunting on the way back.

I did some search and the only spot that seems to yield some fossils is Pahrump, NV?

If anyone else have collected fossil in the Las Vegas/Hoover Dam/Grand Canyon area or anywhere in between, can you please share some possible fossil sites with me please?

I really look forward to this trip, and the fossil collecting!

Hopefully it'll be a blast!

The Marble Mtns, famous for trilobites are somewhere between LA and LasVegas. Here is a link that will help. I have only been there once and would venture to try again.

Marble Mtn trilobite site

Also if you are willing to go north of Las Vegas, to Pioche, Nevada, that site is also very rich in trilobites.

crinus

Hello everyone!

Some of you may recognize me as the guy that started a post asking forum members for their ideas of the best fossil site to go to.

I'd like to thank all of you for giving me your input and ideas! I would love to go to all of them if I could...but I neither have the time nor the money... I guess I would have to save those trips for the future!

After discussing lengthly with my friend, we finally decided to do a road trip from LA and stop at Hoover Dam and then head to Grand Canyon. I want to do some fossil hunting on the way back.

I did some search and the only spot that seems to yield some fossils is Pahrump, NV?

If anyone else have collected fossil in the Las Vegas/Hoover Dam/Grand Canyon area or anywhere in between, can you please share some possible fossil sites with me please?

I really look forward to this trip, and the fossil collecting!

Hopefully it'll be a blast!

There are several AZ sites I could let you know about depending on your route and if you go through Texas there are a ton of places to stop.

FFK

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

The Marble Mtns, famous for trilobites are somewhere between LA and LasVegas. Here is a link that will help. I have only been there once and would venture to try again.

Marble Mtn trilobite site

Also if you are willing to go north of Las Vegas, to Pioche, Nevada, that site is also very rich in trilobites.

crinus

I just went to that website and it's very informative! Thank you very much!

There are several AZ sites I could let you know about depending on your route and if you go through Texas there are a ton of places to stop.

FFK

We are planning to go from LA, take highway I-15 to go to Hoover Dam (which is east of Las Vegas according to google map), then continue taking I-15 until we hit AZ-389 and....go from there to Grand Canyon? We won't be going through Texas I'm afraid.

Please let me know about the sites in AZ. Or PM me if it's secretive :D . My lips are sealed!

Thanks again everyone~

ps. Has anyone fossil hunted at Pahrump?

:) If your in the Los Vegas area the opal mine is a cool place to fossil hunt for fo$$il wood. :D

Bear-dog.