Winner Of The February 2011 Vertebrate Find Of The Month

JohnJ

post-420-0-51258400-1299253650_thumb.jpg

The Winner of the February 2011 Vertebrate Find Of The Month are the Mosasaurus sp. associated mosasaur rear limb bones from the Upper Cretaceous Ozan Formation in TX, USA! Congratulations to Barry (Creekcrawler) on Texas-sized kudos from the members for his well-timed find!

A big thanks to everyone else that shared your finds and knowledge.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow! First I would like to thank the Academy :D

Also, I would like to thank my supporting cast and crew members.

Tera"Barefootgirl", Dave Bowen, and Bobby "Fossiliferous Bob"

And I can't forget John"JohnJ" who is always there fielding my questions, of which there are many...

Music starts..... Holds award high in hands and says,"Thank you everyone" and proclaims!!

"Boy am I gonna drink at the afterparty" :D:D

Now the big question is ????

How to articulate the disarticulation...

Any suggestions for mounting this specimen ????

I would like to mount the partial paddle on a plaque to hang on the wall.

thanks again everyone

B

Congrats Barry, that is an awsome find. You can go to Oceans of Kansas, they have many articulated Mos. paddles illustrated to get the correct assembly. Nice find--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Congrats Barry, that is an awsome find. You can go to Oceans of Kansas, they have many articulated Mos. paddles illustrated to get the correct assembly. Nice find--Tom

Thanks Tom , I have the correct assembly. I was looking for suggestions on how to mount the item for dislpay.

Congratulations, Barry... Wish I had a suggestion on how to mount

but have never done that

Welcome to the forum!

Well, lemme see...the last time I mounted a Mosasaur paddle I....oh, wait, that wasn't me; never mind. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:goodjob: Congrats! :goodjob:

I voted for it :thumbsu:

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Congrats... great find. I've seen some nice mounts done in deep Riker Mounts. Ever think of doing that?

gratuliere, meester

the poor mosasaur has served it's purpose - you should take it back to where you found it and roll it gently back into the water...

no wait! i gots an idea!

ok, first, just decide that the flipper is from a um, dang, what are those called...OH, globidens mosasaur, ok?!

now, go to the duck creek, wherever that is, and get a big honking ammonite. big one. not some lowly mortoniceras or sompin, but one of those honking big eopachydiscussalonian. ok, now, hollow out an area in that fossil, and mount teh flipper parts inside that, and hang it on a wall. ok, this part here is very important - pick a really strong wall.

waaaaa-LAH! justice is served! finally an ammonite gets to have a mosasaur in his belleh instead of teh opsit.

and yes to all teh smarty pantses who are wondring did i know there was like thritty million years diffrence between teh two critters. but there's a rule that says once hanging on teh wall is complentated, den artistic license kicks in and reality doesn't madder. specially reality that's been dead longer than everbrody's grancestors.

:jig: WoooHooo! Way to go Barry! :meg dance:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

:) First let me congratulate you on a much deserved win.Now for a how to suggestion.

Get a rikermount for it,some styrafoam,and some velvet the color you choose,but best shows off the fossil.Cut the styrafoam the size of your riker mount.Lay outthr paddle on it and dig the shape into the foam.When it is complete go to step 2.

Take the felt and stretch it over the foam,securing it on the bottom,flip it back over.Get a razor.From the center of each void,cut a cross working from the center outward not going completely to the edge.Place the fossils in place,adjusting the felt as you go.Place the foam in the bottom.Place a tag, etc with the info on it with glue.

Get a good picture hanging kit to fix it for hanging.

Hope this helps. :D

Bear-dog.

:goodjob::thumbsu:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks JPC and Bear-Dog for the great suggestions...

Now to get off my lazy butt and Git-R- Done ?????

Thanks again !!!