Messelornis cristata

Auspex

This specimen came to me from "an old collection"; more details of its history are being researched. Right now, it is sufficient to say that it originated from the Eocene Messel Pit near Darmstadt, Germany. Preservation from “Grube Messel” (a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1995) is extraordinary: the anoxic conditions at the bottom of what was then a lake prevented bioturbation (nothing could live in the bottom ooze). Complete, articulated skeletons are the rule, with soft tissue evidence preserved; the waste excreted by flesh-consuming bacteria becomes fossilized as a "skin shadow" (Hautschatten)! This is very evident on and around the head of my specimen.

Like most fossils from there, it was prepared using the "resin transfer" method, a delicate and time-consuming process. The fossil is exposed in relief on one side by removing the unstable oil shale (which is 40% water) under a microscope with a scalpel; the bones are treated with a preservative, and the shale surface with an hydrophilic lacquer (all the while, the shale cannot be allowed to dry at all). A synthetic resin and hardener is poured over the fossil (a layer of glass fiber embedded for strength); after curing, the slab is flipped over, the remaining shale is removed, and the display side of the bones receive a coat of preservative.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Forum, I am proud to present:

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Aves

Order: Gruiformes

Family: Messelornithidae

Genus: Messelornis Hesse, 1988

Type species: Messelornis cristata Hesse, 1988

post-423-0-91477300-1299265285_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-22334500-1299265318_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-55136000-1299265347_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-29022500-1299265381_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-88607700-1299265410_thumb.jpg

Hands down, this is the best fossil in my collection; I'm a happy camper :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations Chas,

this is one of the best I've seen so far!

Thomas

PS: And believe me, I've seen quite a few!

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Congratulations Chas,

this is one of the best I've seen so far!

Coming from you, Thomas....>insert fainting emoticon<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

A Museum-Quality specimen accessioned to a World Class Collection !! ;)

Congratulations on a truly Brilliant Bird Chas. Fossil dreams do come true. :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Auspex, that is a gorgeous specimen. It would be the jewel f many a collection I would believe.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

WOW!!! I'm speechless! Well, almost. Congratulations. You must be VERY happy. I can feel the vibes from over here!

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

...Must have cost pretty penny too....

I don't want to think about it...

Thank you all very much!

Short of a dino-bird from Solnhofen, one from Messel really is my dream come true. I am so lucky to have gotten such a nice one! Next on the wish list: Terror bird material ;)

For something so fragile to be preserved like that is amazing.

It couldn't have gone to a better collector.

Congrats on the purchase...

Messelornis is often incorrectly referred to as the "Messel Rail". Although rails are in the same order (Gruiformes, along with the cranes), its closest living relative is the Sunbittern of the American tropics.

There are four named species (of two genera) in the family Messelornithidae: Messelornis cristata (only from Messel), M. nearctica (from the Eocene Green River Fm., USA), M. russelli (from the Paleocene of France), and Itardiornis hessae (from the Late Eocene-Early Oligocene fissure-fillings in Quercy, France).

According to Gerald Meyer in Paleocene Fossil Birds, there are over 500 specimens of M. cristata known from the Messel pit, constituting roughly half of the bird fossils found there. Interestingly, no juvenile specimens are known from there, which suggests that they did not nest nearby.

Absolutely stunning!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

A super acquisition for a wonderful collection! :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

auspex-

Nice fossil. Very Nice. I spend a lot of time in the Eocene... if I ever find a Diatryma fossil, why I'll be sure to let you know. Meanwhile... beautiful Messelornis.

I am glad for you Chas on this magnificent acquisition :wub:

Many thanks for sharing your great fossil and your happiness with us :)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

somehow i completely did not see this topic before now, i don't think. how i could have avoided saying something completely irrelevant and off-topic regarding such an important and special collection centerpiece i'll never know...

<walking out of topic, flailing himself with a large trout, as tc slinks and salivates behind>

p.s. - you'll be getting a bill from my tongueopractor for the damage caused by my trying to rapidly repleat "messelornis"...