Oregon Giant Sloth Excavation

piranha

As promised here are a series of photos from the lecture presented by Professor Emeritus Dr. Bill Orr at WAMS last week. I will follow up here with more details and photos soon. If there are any formal papers available those will be posted as well. The following photos are not the best quality as captured from a powerpoint presentation in a darkened room. With a little luck I can provide additional images of the actual fossils in the near future.

Enjoy the photo-log of a giant Ice Age sloth rescued from the muddy depths of Kings Valley in Benton County Oregon.

post-4301-0-90645000-1299519334_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This is another creature that has always fascinated me. Thanks for the photos, Scott.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Stay tuned for more installments on this magnificent Ice Age Sloth ...

Ii reminds me of a scientific imagination movie scenes :o:o :o

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Very neat! How did they first come across it? It seems to be in a muddy field, was someone digging a well or something?

-YvW

I was wondering the same thing. Good story Scott.

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately Dr. Orr was not able to stay for a Q&A session. I have the great privilege to be volunteering at UO-Condon every Tuesday so I will endeavor to fill in as much detail as possible. With a little luck additional photos and a formal description will be forthcoming shortly. ;)

Thanks guys,

The fossils are presently being conserved. I'm not sure if they are awaiting a formal accession to the collection as Professor Orr is also in progress describing the sloth. Next week I plan on arriving earlier to visit with one of the actual participants for an in-depth report. The discovery was made by the land owner in the normal course of surveying his property. How great that he contacted UO-Condon making this great rescue mission possible. :)