New La Brea Fossils.

bear-dog

:) Any one hear more on the new discovery at La Brea?It appears they uncovered more fossils while getting ready to build a parking garage at the museum. :D

Bear-dog.

New info to me, I'm going to have to see if I can find anything out. This was one of the best museums I've ever visited.

Edit: Construction at the neighboring Art Museum resulted in some amazing finds. Follow the link for more info

My link

Edited by wledswift

:) Any one hear more on the new discovery at La Brea?It appears they uncovered more fossils while getting ready to build a parking garage at the museum. :D

The Southern California Paleo Society has their monthly meetings at this museum so we were lucky enough to watch the progress. They crated up 23 tar seeps by the same method used when moving a large tree and moved them

to a safe area. The mammoth "Zed" that was found was quite a find as he has both tusks and is missing just a few bones. Every July we have a personal tour by Museum staff and get a close up view of the fossils their working on

in the "fish bowl" and outside in the crates and the pits. This new find will keep them very busy for years.

Guest N.AL.hunter

The find isn't really new. It was made in 2006. However, they are about to open another one of the crates. I would love to see that place. Probably one of the earliest fossil stories I ever read about as a child.

As lay-science articles go, this one is pretty good!

Who as a kid was not fascinated by the stories of this iconic site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!