Harleyville Teeth

erik m

Guest N.AL.hunter

Those are some beautiful teeth!! I think these might be the first time I have seen Harlyville teeth. That first one is really nice!! What sort of area is this site? A quarry, creek, beach...?

Those are some beautiful teeth!! I think these might be the first time I have seen Harlyville teeth. That first one is really nice!! What sort of area is this site? A quarry, creek, beach...?

At least in the past the Harleyville quarries (Harleyville area of South Carolina) were operated by the Giant Cement Company. I'm not sure if there has been any recent name change. These quarries mine limestone for use in the production of portland and masonry cements. Rock and gravel is also removed which is sized and sold as aggregate.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Can anyone tell me why the first tooth has such a narrow blade to it? I am assuming it is a Ric. If it isn't, what is it? All my Rics and the others pictured are wide blades.

Can anyone tell me why the first tooth has such a narrow blade to it? I am assuming it is a Ric. If it isn't, what is it? All my Rics and the others pictured are wide blades.

It is a ric tooth and I think its a young shark tooth from the lower jaw

post-4937-499225_thumb.jpg

It is a little ironic that I live a few miles away from Harleyville and have fewer Harleyville teeth than you who lives so far away. I wish these sites still allowed occasional fossil hunts.

Here are a few additional C. auriculatus teeth from the Harleyville, SC area mines. I believe most of these have been

previously posted but that was some good time in the past.

The largest tooth is 3.25"

post-294-0-45227500-1299888188_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilselachian

Super fantastic looking teeth! :notfair: :drooling 38:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'