Florida Fossils

xenacanthus

Belli everybody sorts i havent bene on lately but i am in florida it was a surprise thaï we avère coking hère else i would have dons research i was wondering id. There are Amy good places béat Naples florida thaï have shark tette to find i would appreciate tour Bell ps if it is under an hour away thaï would be the best

Sorry my iPod went weird and made stuff in french it says if there are any good places near Naples florida that is under an hour away to find Sharks teeth could you let me now thanks

Arcadia is probably the closest place that you will easily and definitely find teeth. You will need a 1/4 inch wire screen sifter, or you can improvise with a collander / strainer (like people drain noodles in), and a shovel. Find the Peace River in Arcadia, and walk in. Dig the bottom, and sift it in your sifter. Within 10 scoops you should have some shark teeth. If you haven't found any teeth in 10 scoops, move somewhere else, and try some more scoops. Your chances of finding some teeth are very good. You probably won't dig up a perfect large megalodon, but you will commonly encounter lemon, tiger, bull, dusky and some hemipristis serra teeth. Don't worry about the alligators. If you see a large one, give it space, but they are not aggressive on the Peace River.

Thanks again earthdog we may be going to Venice beach this weekend anyone have any tips about beach collecting

I do not know much about Venice beach, I went there 3 years ago and found 15-20 teeth between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. The sand is brown or white, the teeth are black...

I also would be very interested in other forum comments about Venice beach.

Arcadia is actually closer to Naples than Venice Beach.

IF you go to Arcadia, there are 2 bridges : an old railroad bridge and slightly downstream the Route 70 bridge over the Peace river. Easy parking. Walk downstream 100 feet to 100 yards past the Rt70 bridge.

In the good spots, there is 4-5 inches of gravel under 4-5 inches of sand. Probe with a metal pole for the gravel. Generally you find Dusky, and Bull Shark teeth up to 1 inch. But occasionally, you get lucky and find Makos, like the ones pictured below. Both were found within 100 feet of the Route 70 Bridge.

post-2220-0-79387700-1300313549_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-65114400-1300313573_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks i would Like to go to peace river but i am with friends and they Want a day at the beach so we are going to venice

:) If you aren't diving,go to the gift shop and rent/purchase a sand flea/shark teeth scoop.Wade in the water where you feel the shell hash.Dig the scoop in the hash and shake it underwater and bring it up,pick out the teeth.Repeat as necessary. :D You might have to walk around to get to a good spot.If you ask the nice people there,they will tell you a good area to hunt. :D Happy hunting. :thumbsu: Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

thanks bear dog very helpful to know i can do that it was a surrise we where coming here so i dint pack any fossil hunting things at all

will post pics of the teeth it is going to be so exciting as i have never collected any sharks teeth

Bear dog do you know how much they cost to buy i have Nothing for tooth collecting

Do any of u guys know exactly where casperson beach is cant find it on the map is it better than Venice this Time Of year

Casperson is south of Venice public beach. It is a state park and IS better for finding shark teeth on the beach because it has not had all the renourishment sand pumped up on it. Go to Sharkey's restaurant in Venice, get something to eat, walk out on the pier, then walk south along the beach and you will find plenty of small shark teeth. You can buy a "sandflea rake" at any Walmart around there or I am sure some of the local stores have them. They may not call them sandflea rakes though so you might want to ask for "those things people use to find shark teeth on the beach". Maybe go to Florida West Scuba to check out some of the Meg teeth they have for sale. They can also steer you in the right direction to find your own. Good luck!

www.meghunter.net Apparel Fossils Equipment

Bear dog do you know how much they cost to buy i have Nothing for tooth collecting

:zzzzscratchchin: Can't remember the price offhand.I will tell you to purchase a cheap plastic colander,it is a nice acessory to the scoop.I have large hands so picking the teeth out of the scoop is tough.I scoop up the hash,shake it around in the water and dump the contents in the colander.It makes it so easy to see and pick out the teeth.Also another tip,attach the colander to you with string,as anything put down in the water can and will probably wash out into deeper water. :o

Had a friend propped his scoop against his leg to put some teeth in a container,a wave came along and caused it to fall over.While trying to recover the scoop he dropped the container,also had the scoop wash out to sea. :lol:

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Well thank you everyone for all your help I am going to Venice beach nice and early tmrw hope to find lots of teeth will post pics when I get the time see ya

Does anyone know if Venice beach is really good this time of yer

Venice Beach screening depends in the elements.Wave action prior to you arriving is good.The wave direction also factors in here.Last hit the beach at first light,the later you start the less chance you have of finding the goodies. :)

Bear-dog.

Tides around here suck lately. If you are really only finding 3 teeth in venice send me a pm and I can help you with some spots.