Unknown Sharktooth

MOROPUS

I`ve been wandering if some of you can ID this little tooth that comes from Miocene of Montpellier, France.It measures,more or less half of my thumb nail.There is anotherone in my colection,about the same size and place.

post-62-1213688075_thumb.jpg

post-62-1213688098_thumb.jpg

Sphyrna was my first guess; but in my books, seem they got serrations.None of the ones I`ve got have them.Any guess?

Guest bmorefossil
Sphyrna was my first guess; but in my books, seem they got serrations.None of the ones I`ve got have them.Any guess?

wow thats odd i wonder why they would have serrations on them.

I would agree that it is likely Sphyrna, either S. arambourghi or Sphyrna ssp. I guess the serrations depend on the species. I have a S. zygaena that has weak serrations only on the distal shoulder, a S. mokarran that is fully, finely serrated and a modern S.lewini jaw and the teeth are smooth.

post-77-1213744650_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Yes, I would agree hammerhead. To me, an important feature is the "hammerhead notch" on the tooth. The pictures aren't clear enough to see serrations. Actually, my understanding is that the presence of serrations or, often, undulations on the crown may depend on the size of the tooth (larger are more likely to be serrated) and species. Here is a photo of a Hammerhead tooth that looks similar to the tooth Moropus has posted. The undulations on the distal side of the crown can be seen in this picture.

post-100-1213750981_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams