Fossil Mole Mandible

PrehistoricFlorida

Typically vertebrate micro stuff like this is overlooked, but I got lucky and found this mole mandible this week. The detail is incredible!

post-151-0-75863200-1300930017_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-33685000-1300930027_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-83819400-1300930051_thumb.jpg

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

nice find!!!!!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

That is a great find. You should submit that to Fossil of the Month. Every once in a while, I see a mole humerus from one of the Florida sites.

Typically vertebrate micro stuff like this is overlooked, but I got lucky and found this mole mandible this week. The detail is incredible!

Wonderful Find :wub: Definitely a Fossil of the Month entry. Do you screen for much microvert?

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I've won my fossil of the month. I've also found much better stuff than this piece this month, I just thought it was very unique. No, I don't screen for micros, I just got lucky and saw this. Everything looks bigger underwater so that helps a little. I probably should screen for micros in some spots, but I'm not that patient.

Awesome Stuff!!

I think I saw you guiding some ladies down in Arcadia in February.

Pretty sure. I was finding strange things that day.. Some atypical teeth for Arcadia. Unfortunately it was only 1/2 a tooth.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Guest N.AL.hunter

This find has now made me wonder... how long have moles been around? Will have to do some investigating.

Awesome Stuff!!

I think I saw you guiding some ladies down in Arcadia in February.

Pretty sure. I was finding strange things that day.. Some atypical teeth for Arcadia. Unfortunately it was only 1/2 a tooth.

It wasn't me, the Peace is way too over-hunted for me.

This find has now made me wonder... how long have moles been around? Will have to do some investigating.

There have been some mole fossils found at the Brooks Sink site (Miocene) in Florida.

Wow haven't seen a fossilized mole jaw before.

Have you found any other rodent fossils¿

Yes, rodent fossils (muskrat, beaver, squirrel) fossils are pretty common.

Wow haven't seen a fossilized mole jaw before.

Have you found any other rodent fossils¿

For the archived record, moles are not rodents; their order is Soricomorpha (from the former Insectivora order).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!