Shark Tooth Question

snaggle

What is underneath the enamel on the tooth? What does the root consist of? Chondrichythes aren't boney so......? What is it? And is the enamel fossilized or preserved?

Thanks

sharks aren't "boney" but their teeth kinda are. the teeth start out as an enameloid over dentine, but by the time you find it, it can be pretty much any degree of original material versus replacement by or just infilling with additional mineral. the composition of a fossil tooth is going to vary a lot based on both the minerals in the environment of deposition, plus any bacterial action in a reducing environment, plus the length of time that passes.

kind of a technical, but short description of original tooth material and hardness

sharks aren't "boney" but their teeth kinda are. the teeth start out as an enameloid over dentine, but by the time you find it, it can be pretty much any degree of original material versus replacement by or just infilling with additional mineral. the composition of a fossil tooth is going to vary a lot based on both the minerals in the environment of deposition, plus any bacterial action in a reducing environment, plus the length of time that passes.

kind of a technical, but short description of original tooth material and hardness

Thank you, Tracer. I was able to get to the third page before my computer gagged on the pdf file. Maybe tomorrow after it's had a good rest. You learn something new every day. Because of my husband's work, I know wood has many material properties as does composite material for the aerospace industry. But shark teeth? Who would have thought that up?

Thanks again.