Eurhinodelphis

Lord-Baccus

Hello again,

Here are a few of the pictures of my Eurhinodelphis skull. It is a work in progress, and my first attempt at a marine mammal. I have been able to gather that it sat on the ocean floor for a good time before it was buried due to fossil barnacles covering a good ###### of its surface.

All teeth, the mandible and 13 inches of snout are missing, but I am still tickled pink about the find.

Feel free to share your opinions, experience and general comments on the subject.

Thanks,

Mark

post-5311-0-86908200-1301020423_thumb.jpg

post-5311-0-07292700-1301020623_thumb.jpg

It looks like this specimen could have benefited from the use of a plaster jacket.

Where did you find this? Also, are you trying to free the skull from the matrix? I wouldn't because it seems quite fragile judging by your photographs.

Nonetheless, I still envy you. Parts of the vertebrae column are found fairly often, but I've never seen skulls. You're lucky!

Is he sprawled out on tin foil?

Check your PMs. I sent some photos of a skull I found in that general area to use as a guide as you prep. If you need any more let me know.

Thank you for the advice and pictures.

These photos are of the truly initial stage of preparing the skull. The skull has been allowed to dry and has stabilized remarkably. I am using a variety of stabilizers to secure it as matrix is removed. This is my first marine mammal skull, but not my first skull prep.

I will update with more photos as it develops.

Keep the comments coming.

Mark

Very nice skull!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter