Sylvania, Oh

Nandomas

They were when I was there in September. However, the piles (at least when I was there) were very small. For trilobites, I had my best luck finding larger rocks and breaking them open, rather than digging through the piles. No tools are allowed, though, so you've got to do it caveman-style, and break rocks against each other.

I was there last May, didn't take my son because there hasn't been much there macro-wise the few times I've gone. However, microfossils are plentiful and very nice. I just go to grab a few quarts of sediment and then leave. My photos are at Sylvania micros.

The Silica Fm. is very easy to process for micros (basically soak in water, maybe add some detergent and then wash through sieves). If you don't have sieves, you can just gently pour off the water. Refill with water, stir and decant the clay-laden water. Repeat this until the water runs clear and there will be a fine grained sediment in the bottom. Let this dry and then use a lense or low-power microscope to search for micros. Let me know if you have any questions.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

If your meaning the Olander Fossil Park, they open for the summer on the third weekend in April.

They were when I was there in September. However, the piles (at least when I was there) were very small. For trilobites, I had my best luck finding larger rocks and breaking them open, rather than digging through the piles. No tools are allowed, though, so you've got to do it caveman-style, and break rocks against each other.

what about breaking the rocks against the hard hat? :blush::wacko::blink:

Acryzona thanks for the micros link... your avtar is fantastic :)

ohiofossilhunter, thanks ... so rigth now there are no way to go into the park? :( :( :( :(

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Yea, that's right they close the piles to collecting during the winter. :(