Estwing Rock Picks

ohiofossilhunter

Does anyone have a Geo/paleo Estwing pick? And are they worth the price?

Edited by ohiofossilhunter

If your geo equipment is going to get serious use, and/or you do not want it to fail in the field, Estwing is worth every penny.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Does anyone have a Geo/paleo Estwing pick? And are they worth the price?

yes, I have a estwing rock hammer (chisel edge) and a 3 lb crack hammer (mini sledge). They are a bit pricey but are the best of the best and will last years. I would get one with the rubber handle, rather than the leather. The rubber handles moisture better.

cheer,s

PzF

Agreed on all accounts! I have hammers of different weights and chisel and pick tips. They hold up very well! I've resharpened the pick ends as necessary.

estwing rocks!

i use only estwing for picking but you have to have pretty big gaps between your teeth.

I use Estwing clones with the Mastercraft label here in Ontario... They look identical to the Estwing... suspect they are manufactured by Estwing for Canadian Tire.... price is slightly cheaper than Estwing... but a bargin when they go on sale.... ie 50% off .... Having said that.... Yes, Estwing are the best and extremely well engineered .. the balance is great... that is why they command the higher prices. I buy the cheap stuff because I am always forgetting where I place the rock pick while collecting.... should paint them bright orange.... getting old and senile with advancing age : ) .

Edited by pleecan

Have had my Estwing (Chisel edge) For about 15 years, and still going strong - Love that hammer! :wub:

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Mark up another vote for estwing. When someone wants to borrow mine I make em sign for it :P Tracers gag reminded me of some great chisels I found on-line. Trow and Holden makes rock chisels for sculpters and if you want to remove really hard rock nothing beats their marble chisels. Get the ones with square notched teeth on the blade. They chew threw that really hard limestone like nothing else I've tried.

I've had my leather handled Estwing Rock Pick for nearly 30 years! The handle has finally come apart but otherwise it's still usable. I also own an Estwing hammer with a chisel end as well as two Estwing Crack Hammers and several Estwing chisels (one of which I had as long as my leather handled pick).

Without a doubt I'd have to say Estwing's Hammers are second to none and worth every penny!

Dan

I got my Eastwing in the mid 1970's second hand as a gift from a Geologist (I was about 9 yrs old) and I still use it! Can't beat the price(free)!

Mark up another vote for estwing. When someone wants to borrow mine I make em sign for it :P Tracers gag reminded me of some great chisels I found on-line. Trow and Holden makes rock chisels for sculpters and if you want to remove really hard rock nothing beats their marble chisels. Get the ones with square notched teeth on the blade. They chew threw that really hard limestone like nothing else I've tried.

Hi Bob:

Can you post a picture of the Trow and Holden chisel that you are refering to....

here is Trow and Holden web site:

http://www.trowandholden.com/store/agora.cgi?product=cat2

Is there a particular chisel that you would recommend for tough limestone?

Thanks.

PL

The long handled pick is a real back saver and keeps you a little further out of snake bite range. And as mentioned you would never need to buy a second one. I wonder how many of us have spent inordinate amounts of time looking for the one we "set down somewhere" because we just weren't going home without it!

I made my first geo hammer in Jr. High shop class; worked well enough on the soft Devonian mudstone in Gore, VA, but I had to graduate to a Plumb pick hammer later for harder stuff. Finally saved up for an Estwing and never looked back. ;)

I need to figure out how to give it some exercise...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Someone has to say it...

Estwing Rocks.

the only way to fly. I have seven or eight of them. I am pointy end fan. Yes, paint it day glow orange (lees the 2 bucks) and your 35 dollar investent is less likely to get lost or buried. Mine are painted green, so if we ever get to hunt together they won't get confused.

I hav egotten to where I feel naked if I am out wothout my estwing... well, one of them. And when you can do a quadruple flip with it and catch it by the handle, you know you are one step closer to nirvana... the place not the band.

Edited by jpc

Hi Bob:

Can you post a picture of the Trow and Holden chisel that you are refering to....

here is Trow and Holden web site:

http://www.trowandholden.com/store/agora.cgi?product=cat2

Is there a particular chisel that you would recommend for tough limestone?

Thanks.

PL

I tried a couple of others and like the steel marble chisel best. It's the 10th one down on that page. Last time I got the 5/8" width with teeth option F. It can demolish the hardest thing I've used it on!

I tried a couple of others and like the steel marble chisel best. It's the 10th one down on that page. Last time I got the 5/8" width with teeth option F. It can demolish the hardest thing I've used it on!

Thanks Bob: I am always on the look out for good proven equipement in the field... always making mental notes... that chisel should be good for wacking dolostone what I call iron stone : ) .

Peter

I hav egotten to where I feel naked if I am out wothout my estwing... well, one of them. And when you can do a quadruple flip with it and catch it by the handle, you know you are one step closer to nirvana...

Gonna' change your screen name to "Clint Estwing"?

I do have an estwing crackhammer, but wanted to make sure the picks are as good. Thanks for the convincing. :)

Hi,

Gonna' change your screen name to "Clint Estwing"?

haha-rire-395.gifhaha-rire-395.gifhaha-rire-395.gif

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The geopick is not a hammer, but a larger tool. It is a good tool, but larger that I prefer to carry most of the time. I use the 22 oz. rock pic. There is a lighter one and as erose mentioned, a longer handle one. They also make a nice bricklayer's hammer.

post-534-0-83145000-1301283190_thumb.jpeg

The pick that MikeD shows is what I use in the unconsolidated Tertiary and Cretaceous sediments in the southeast US. Best purchase I ever made. Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe Estwing has a life time guarantee on their hammers and picks.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain