Pelagornis ?

Dave pom Allen

I have had this bone sitting in the back of the shed for a couple of years and was looking at it today and came up with this idea that it is a Coracoid of a bony tooth bird it is 115+mm

Can any of my good friends out there make there opinions and put me straight if i am mistaken. Dave

post-1182-0-08938700-1301207356_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-38177800-1301207384_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-55110400-1301207442_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-71996200-1301207469_thumb.jpg

I have had this bone sitting in the back of the shed for a couple of years and was looking at it today and came up with this idea that it is a Coracoid of a bony tooth bird it is 115+mm

Can any of my good friends out there make there opinions and put me straight if i am mistaken. Dave

well how old is it?

It is absolutely a coracoid, and a monster at that! The size alone brings Pelagornis into consideration, but I haven't any reference at hand to compare the morphology.

Looks like I have my day's research project spelled out!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are some pictures of the pectoral elements of Pelagornis chilensis:

post-423-0-06602900-1301231987_thumb.jpg

From "Osteology of a new giant bony-toothed bird from the Miocene of Chile,

with a revision of the taxonomy of Neogene Pelagornithidae" (GERALD MAYR; DAVID RUBILAR-Rogers), in The Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology: >Link to Article<.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

While the NZ coracoid is certainly in the size range of Pelagornis, it appears to have quite a few differences with P. chilensis. The coracoid morphology of Macrodontopteryx is pretty similar to P. chilensis, suggesting that the differences observed in this NZ specimen may place it outside Pelagornithidae.

I don't have any photos of Albatross coracoids, but that would be a good place to start.

Bobby

Thanks Chas i have the paper "Osteology of a new giant bony-toothed bird from the Miocene of Chile,

with a revision of the taxonomy of Neogene Pelagornithidae" (GERALD MAYR; DAVID RUBILAR-Rogers),supplied to me by Bobby ,this is what i used to make my mind up that it may be from a bony tooth bird. although mine is a bit different in shape and size.I will also be getting in touch with A Tennison at TePapa who has a wonderful collection of Albatross that can be used to compare.

Thanks to Bobby if i hadn't been looking for seal bones with bite marks (that i know i have somewhere) it may still be sitting in the back of the shed gathering dust.

Edited by Dave pom Allen