Help For A Newbie

Rockin' Ric

Hey all, I'm sure this has been discussed a pretty good bit. Since I'm new, I would like some suggestions on how to preserve my Carboniferous fossils. I had heard and had been using the 50/50 water/elmers glue mixture (is this the correct mixture?) and wonder is this safe for my fossils? Over a period of time, the fossils have this really dry, chalky look and sometimes leave this annoying dust and coal crystals falling off when handled and would like to see if what I'm currently using is okay or is there something else that is better? Any recommendation would be great!

Thanks

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

The answers will be as variable as there are different matrices and opinions about which process is best. My general rule is a minimalist or au naturel approach. If a consolidant were to add sheen to the appearance of the fossil then I would choose another option. The white glue method is used frequently for Green River fish although only through trial and error will you discover what will work best on the fossils in question. There are products that have a matte finish and used sparingly with a 50/50 water mix will yield nice results. I have traded for many Carboniferous plants from Alabama and West Virginia that were soaked in shellac to stabilize and make them shiny and more "showy". This is a popular technique but makes for a dreadful result IMHO. Fortunately a few quick dips in acetone can reverse it completely.

Good Luck and let us know which method provides you with the best results. ;)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png