Ankle Bone, But Whose?

Auspex

This was in a box o' rocks from an estate sale; when & where it was collected is unknown.

Scorch & sniff test negative for modern origin. I have a thought as to it's ID, but don't want to reveal the depth of my ignorance when proven way off. :P

(Now that I've learned (?) how to do it, more pictures available on request) Thank you!

post-423-1213900281_thumb.jpg

post-423-1213900315_thumb.jpg

post-423-1213900329_thumb.jpg

post-423-1213900342_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...but don't want to reveal the depth of my ignorance when proven way off. :P

Prophetic words; a little more e-digging makes me think it's a first phalanx (toe bone).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Equus sp. 2nd phalanx I think. The first is the hoof and the third would be longer.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Thank you both (and thanks to the Forum)! Just being exposed to fossils other than avian has piqued my interests.

All the more to learn!

Aye.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Agreed....equid phalanx II. The bone in the hoof is actually phalanx III and the most proximal (closest to the body) bone is phalanx I.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library