Bird Bones ?

Pool Man

Hi all,

I've been meaning to post Pics of these since Auspex joined.The brown bone on the left is modern I believe, the second bone comes from the Pliestocene probably and the two broken ones came from the Pliocene shelly layer,All from the same Sarasota creek.

post-148-1214150222_thumb.jpg post-148-1214150228_thumb.jpg

post-148-1214150233_thumb.jpg post-148-1214150239_thumb.jpg

This odd bone(claw core?) is from the shelly layer also.

post-148-1214150297_thumb.jpg post-148-1214150309_thumb.jpg post-148-1214150316_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Nice! The carpometacarpus (second bone) is family Pelicaniformes, probably a Cormorant.

The oddball bone looks like a "Tilly bone" from a fish.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice! The carpometacarpus (second bone) is family Pelicaniformes, probably a Cormorant.

The oddball bone looks like a "Tilly bone" from a fish.

Agreed, the carpometatarsus is likely cormorant or anhinga. The bone on the far right is part of an ulna. The other two bones do not look to be bird. If anyone here is ever looking to buy any Florida bird bones, send me a PM.

Thanks everyone. The cormorant is definatly nifty. I read about a mass die off of extinct cormorants found in a shell pit in Sarasota(Probably about 20 Miles from where this was found). I think they recovered about 100 or so skeletons.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Bone 1 is an avian scapula. Agreed, 3 and 4 don't appear to be bird material.

The Florida fossil cormorant site has been worked by Emslie - there are a couple of papers out on it.

-km