Eocene Insect

jbswake

This is a paratype specimen held at TRU of Dinokanaga wilsoni that I found at our site in 2007.

"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

This is another type specimen.

This is only the second complete Eosalmo driftwoodensis found in BC. It and its counterpart reside at TRU. The first one found resides in Quebec. It took me 3 hours to dig this out and 2 days to put back together. I am quite proud of this find.

This is only the second complete Eosalmo driftwoodensis found in BC. It and its counterpart reside at TRU. The first one found resides in Quebec. It took me 3 hours to dig this out and 2 days to put back together. I am quite proud of this find.

Forgot:

It measures 47.5 cm. I found it last July in Ypresian age deposits approx 51MYBP.

Sweet! Can't take my eyes off the color patterns on those scorpionflies... :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heckuva a nice fish John! The E.driftwoodensis is a classic.

Named no doubt for the Driftwood Canyon Provincial Park?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hey John,

is this the second complete Eosalmo driftwoodensis from McAbee? There is also a complete specimen at the University of Alberta that came from Driftwood Valley and named by Mark Wilson.

Dan

Oh ... is it Driftwood Valley then? Or is that just part of Driftwood Canyon Provincial Park? I am not that familiar with BC. :blush:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I havent been there myself but I think the Driftwood Canyon and Driftwood Valley are the same thing.

Impressive fossils... I've got some McAbee fossils but only having collected there I have nothing quite this nice!

See also Dan's new thread on McAbee, he has posted my pic of the site in 1992, and maybe we'll all contribute fossil pics there.

Edited by Wrangellian

Oh ... is it Driftwood Valley then? Or is that just part of Driftwood Canyon Provincial Park? I am not that familiar with BC. :blush:

Oops,

I meant Driftwood Canyon!;)

The Eoslamo is the first one found at McAbee. The first one found was from Driftwood Canyon, which is why it has that as the species name. Wilson was going to study this one, which was why he insisted I donate it right away. He has seen the pictures and has said that there is enough there for a solid identification with an outside chance of it being a different species from driftwoodensis. We have also found partial evidence of Amyazon(tail in one area and a head at a different part of the site). However, small hiodons (rosei) dominate the fish found there.