Mcfaddin Beach

danielp

It has been a very busy last couple of weeks for me. I got married on the 15th and we decided to go to Galveston for a few days as a mini honeymoon, the actual honeymoon is the Cayman Islands next month. We decided to do it like that because of her class schedule at college. We decided to take a look at mcfaddin while we were down there. I was hoping to find some good material. The only fossil material that was found by us was 1 bison tooth. We found countless complete whelk shells though, which she enjoyed. If anyone ever goes there I would recommend a 4 wheel drive. There where numerous place that I had to use 4x4. It is a pretty trecherous drive down the old washed out highway. We drove probably 4 or 5 miles down the beach. There were several people stuck in the sand along the way. Besides the shell and fossil material we saw saw a few things that we would have been better off without seeing, apparently this beach is an unofficial nude beach. Although most people were clothed there were a few without. This place is better in the winter months for fossils and artifacts from what I have been told and probably more eye friendly too. all in all it was a great trip

I've been out there as well and found a bison tooth also but no other material. But beware, unless it has been shut down in the last couple of years there is a clothing optional beach a few miles down from the high island area. A friend of mine wandered into it and was caught unaware and said that sometimes it is a shame you can't unsee that which has been seen.

BTW, Congrats on getting married!

Edited by bierk

You may have messed-up; are there fossils in the Cayman Islands? :unsure:

Congratulations, Daniel!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe they were on their honeymoon too? Or fossil hunters looking to keep the competition at a wide berth? Hahaha...and if you ever collect the cliffs at Black's Beach north of La Jolla, CA, you might want to keep your eyes on the cliffs....or not...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Auspex, I have done some research and there doesn't appear to be any fossils on the caymans. I was hoping that there would be.

Auspex, I have done some research and there doesn't appear to be any fossils on the caymans. I was hoping that there would be.

Well, you'll have to find something else to do while you're there...

The fishing ought to be good.

:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fossil collecting on your honeymoon.......a good way to start......and stop a marraige! :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

I like the fossil hunting on your honeymoon approach. It is good to establish some scene control from the beginning (could apply to husband or wife, not directed negatively in either direction). One time I took my wife out to Aurora, NC to PCS on her birthday. Needless to say...she was delighted (at least that is what my old faded memory chooses to believe...).

She had fun collecting shells. She also enjoys fossil hunting when we are both able to go together.

The Cayman Islands are beautiful ! You'd have more of a chance of finding Pirate gold then any fossils. ;)

Congrats on the nuptials!!

The best find I have from there is a gold wedding band that washed up after Ike. I've found several bison and a couple of horse teeth there.

Mammoth teeth usually don't show until after a big storm though.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

We had found shark teeth there many times before the hurricane came through and wiped everything out. I guess it shifted everything around, we were down there last Thanksgiving weekend and came back with 2 shark teeth.

Congrats Daniel and cool she likes fossil hunting too!

:) The only thing I found there was a wedding band,shortly after she ripped it off her finger.Guess love isen't always Grand in the Caymens. :D

Bear-dog.

• 1 year later...

I just found out about McFaddin Beach. Apparently it was a great place both for vertebrate fossils and Native American artifacts. Is it still good or is it pretty well picked over? I'd appreciate any information and tips.

take a 4wd and drive as far as you can, then start huntin...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."