Penguin Claws

Auspex

My finances may be a train-wreck, but who can resist penguins?

Fossil penguin material is on the scarce side, so when these surfaced, I just could not resist.

They are from the Atacama Desert in Chile; Huarra Fm. (Miocene/Pliocene), and are purported to be from Spheniscus urbinai (but I don't know how I could confirm that). Pretty much a zero chance that any of the seven are associated, but I have enough for one penguin, with a spare :P

post-423-0-77479100-1303335998_thumb.jpg

This Riker joins four skulls/crania (all different species), a partial bill, and the proximal portion of a humerus (Australian; my first, and only non-Chilean, penguin fossil).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OH MY GOSH! you had a penguin DECLAWED?!?!?

<speed-dialing the aspcp>

yer in BEEG trubble, meester!!!

p.s. - hey! what you trying to pull?

you told me before them groove things on the sides of claws were blood grooves and mean the claws were from dinosaurs and now they're from penguins?! big difference in my phylogeneticalities.

i can just picture a penguin waddling up to me and ripping me to shreds with its killer claws, all the while shouting linux code at me. "sudo DIE!"

(p.s. - that's prolly hilarious if yer a tuxboy. otherwise, you prolly lost me five minutes ago.)

Spectacular claws and I just viewed the other great penguin fossils from your previous collection threads. Congrats Chas !! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Fossil penguin material is on the scarce side, so when these surfaced, I just could not resist.

They are from the Atacama Desert in Chile; Huarra Fm. (Miocene/Pliocene), and are purported to be from Spheniscus urbinai (but I don't know how I could confirm that). Pretty much a zero chance that any of the seven are associated, but I have enough for one penguin, with a spare :P

This Riker joins four skulls/crania (all different species), a partial bill, and the proximal portion of a humerus (Australian; my first, and only non-Chilean, penguin fossil).

Congats on the fine acquisition, Chas Meg%20Dance.gif:goodjob:

To obtain so rare treasures doesn't indicate a train-wreck finance...:lol:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

you told me before them groove things on the sides of claws were blood grooves and mean the claws were from dinosaurs and now they're from penguins?! big difference in my phylogeneticalities.

Perching birds lack them; these are crampons. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Spectacular claws and I just viewed the other great penguin fossils from your previous collection threads. Congrats Chas !! :D

Thanks!

My paltry collection is approaching the point where it might be worthy of a Forum gallery. I should get some of these pictures together in one place. Someday.

Congats on the fine acquisition, Chas Meg%20Dance.gif:goodjob:

To obtain so rare treasures doesn't indicate a train-wreck finance...:lol:

Life is a journey, and sometimes I go by train... ;)

Perching birds lack them; these are crampons. ;)

d00d, you are SO out on a limb with yer distortions of my awarenesses. Perch are fish!

sheesh

...distortions of my awarenesses...

Title for your memoir?

Chas.,

Fossils said to be from the "Huarra Fm." have turned out to be from the Bahia Inglesa Formation. Back in the 90's, there was at least one dealer using that name without doing any research. There wasn't much written on fossils from the formation but then a seal article (Walsh and Naish, 2002) and a bird review (Walsh and Hume, 2001) were published around ten years ago. I think another paper came out on birds from since then.

Jess

Walsh, S.A. and J.P. Hume. 2001.

A New Neogene Marine Avian Assemblage from North-Central Chile. JVP 21(3):484-491.

Walsh, S.A. and D. Naish. 2002.

Fossil seals from Late Neogene Deposits in South America: A new Pinniped (Carnivora, Mammalia) Assemblage from Chile. Palaeontology 45(4):821-842.

Jess, y'know, I actually knew that about Bahia Inglesa, and still just copied the info I got with the fossils :blush: